This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
August 8, 2019 at 4:03 pm

kawaK

I am trying to: translate the page but everytime it redirects to home page... and language doesnot switches.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: hidden link

Instead, I got: hidden link

The issue is when default is English language and the site is opened with German ip it opens up with the de language. However, but when trying to switch language to english it doesnot changes to english and redirects to de homepage only.

August 8, 2019 at 5:02 pm #4364839

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I have followed the below steps in order to reproduce this issue:

1. Change chrome browser language to German.

2. Type this URL in address bar: hidden link and it’s redirected to hidden link

3. Then I selected EN language from top bar language switcher and it’s redirecting to EN language without any issue.

Could you please clear your browser cache and take another look at it.

Thank you

August 9, 2019 at 9:47 am #4369189

kawaK

Hi Noman,

Thanks for your replay.
if I type hidden link i will be redirected to hidden link maybe because I am in the Netherlands. try the next things. Go to EN language and also add some products to the wishlist. Can you visit different pages in EN language? Please let me know this.

I changed my browser language to German and English. but still is witching back to hidden link and I am not able to switch it to EN. Do you change your browser language from the chrome>settings>langauge?.

August 12, 2019 at 4:31 pm #4382361

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Noman is not available today, so I'll continue to handle this ticket. I hope that it is alright with you.

Please note that this redirection is happening because of the following. In WPML -> Languages -> Browser language redirect, you have the option 'Always redirect visitors based on browser language (redirect to home page if translations are missing)' selected. This redirection happens only once for the first visit. But it resets every 24 hours so the next day you might experience it again. Please read more about WPML's option 'Browser language redirect' at the following link. https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/
Please note that the 'Browser language redirect' can affect the SEO of your site. Please read about it at the following link. https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/how-browser-language-redirect-affects-google-indexing/. I would recommend that you do not use the 'Browser language redirect' unless it is really needed.

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Language translator always redirecting to home page’ is closed to new replies.