Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.58 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
March 14, 2019 at 8:52 pm #3348427

karenK-9

I was chatting with Lauren (she is amazing btw) and she advised me to use directories in "Language URL format" option, however, when I enable it the system shows me a different option hidden link

I am not sure If I need to enable it.

thanks

March 14, 2019 at 9:35 pm #3348611

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. This option is only suitable if you need to keep your default language in specific url such as yourdomain.tld/en, something useful if you have a root page (welcome page) for example with a list of languages your website is available. Other than that you don't need to check this option.

See:

https://wpml.org/faq/server-setting-for-languages-in-directories/

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/

Please, let me know if you need any additional assistance. Have a nice day.

March 14, 2019 at 9:38 pm #3348615

karenK-9

Ohh is If I understood correctly if I need the default URL be with /en/ then I need to enable it. I don't need it then.

By the way how to capitalize the text here hidden link

thanks

March 14, 2019 at 9:50 pm #3348659

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Exactly, you only need to check it if you need your default url in a directory such as yourdomain/en/. In the case of your language switcher style if you added it to the menu then it should inherit the same menu style, in any case it is possible to adjust it using a CSS code, in order to provide you with the right code I would need to take a look in your website. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

March 15, 2019 at 5:59 am #3351501

karenK-9

Thank you!

One last question please if you don't mind. Please don't tell me to open a new ticket please.

On each page I see this hidden link

1) Do you recommend me to keep those marks enabled even if I don't have a featured image?
2) I am using a classic editor (NOT manual) do I need to enable "duplicate uploaded media ..." too?

Thank you

March 15, 2019 at 5:31 pm #3356075

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. If you don't have a featured image then you don't need to check the 'Duplicate featured image to translations' option. The option 'Duplicate uploaded media to translation' is needed if you are placing some images in your post content. Please, let me know if it helps, have a nice day.

March 15, 2019 at 5:41 pm #3356131

karenK-9

Hi there,

Regarding Duplicate uploaded media to translation I still don’t get it.

As I mentioned above I am using Divi theme to translate page with the content (images, text etc). I don’t use the manual translation, so when I click on + the page opens with two columns (text only) to translate the content. There is no pictures there and I cannot even change the layout of the page as I translate only the text. In this case do I need to enable Duplicate uploaded media to translation?

Thanks

March 15, 2019 at 6:00 pm #3356223

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. When you are using any WPML compatible page builder such as Elementor, Divi, WPBakery etc you can use the WPML Translation Editor to translate your pages built with these builders, in this case you will translate just the text, the idea is: You create your original page in your default language, place your blocks, adjust its layout, insert your images and then you translate the content entered, in this case the text entered using the WPML Translation Editor.

You can also use the WordPress Default editor to edit your translations built either with a page builder or not, in this case you would be able to edit the layout, images and blocks of your translated content. For all these situations you should keep the 'Duplicate uploaded media to translation' option checked to ensure your uploaded content will be availanle across your translations.

See:

https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

Hope it brings some more clarifications, please, let me know if it helps. Have a nice day.

March 15, 2019 at 6:47 pm #3356509

karenK-9

Thank you!
So if I use WPML Translation Editor with any builder like Divi I don’t need to duplicate the media so I can uncheck this option as well as featured image (both checkbox must be unchecked).

Correct?

March 15, 2019 at 7:14 pm #3356599

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. As said before, you need to keep this option checked whenever you need to keep your uploaded images available across languages whether you are using a page builder or now. In other words you need to keep this option checked even using the WPML Translation Editor with any builder like Divi. Hope it clarifies, have a nice day.

March 15, 2019 at 7:47 pm #3356725

karenK-9

1) even if all images are the same on the translated page I still need to keep that check marked?
2) only disabled featured image if I don't use it right?

March 15, 2019 at 7:50 pm #3356731

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Regarding your questions:

1 - Your images will be copied from your original content to your translated content, this is why you need to keep this option checked.

2 - Yes, as already explained if you don't need to duplicate your featured image you don't need to check this option.

Hope it helps. have a nice day.