This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
July 22, 2019 at 9:03 am #4255097

victorB-21

Regarding the language URL format, we get this message (see below). Our website is in Danish and we would like it to be translated into English.

---
It looks like languages per directories will not function. Details

This can be a result of either:

WordPress is installed in a directory (not root) and you're using default links.
URL rewriting is not enabled in your web server.
The web server cannot write to the .htaccess file

July 22, 2019 at 3:16 pm #4259251

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

That notification shouldn't stop the translation functionality which can be used by following the steps in the link below:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/#how-to-translate-pages-posts-and-custom-posts

If you would like to use language per directories (/en instead of ?lang=en), then you would need to check on the things that error is reporting.

Please let me know what you would like to accomplish with that and I will be more than happy to help.

Also, here are some more tickets that are based on the same error and in most of them you will find solutions on how people solved the issue:
hidden link...9371.10765..11006...0.0..0.117.1226.11j3......0....1..gws-wiz.4ywmTjhOo8k&ved=0ahUKEwjrlanT6MjjAhWOs4sKHWTsBukQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei