This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.87 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
October 22, 2018 at 1:54 am #2836228

hyeongnohL

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am trying to migrate my site to a new WordPress environment and retaining the permalinks from the previous site is crucial. For instance, in my previous site, the default language is Japanese so a blog post would follow the (www.somelink.com/post/blog-post) while the second language will be (www.somelink.com/en/post/blog-post. There is a similar option in your plugin, but it is only possible when I make the default language Japanese.

Is there a way to keep the default language English and have it become (www.somelink.com/en/blog/post) while having the second language use the default (www.somelink.com/blog/post) link?

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I looked at your WPML link directory documentation, but there doesn't seem to be an answer.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
I wasn't able to find a similar setup.

What is the link to your site?
test.seoulperlife.com (the link registered with this account links to the development server)

October 23, 2018 at 12:15 am #2840081

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. Please, my sincere apologies for the delay in answering.

>>> Is there a way to keep the default language English and have it become (www.somelink.com/en/blog/post) while having the second language use the default (www.somelink.com/blog/post) link?

No. To do this, you will need to switch the default language from English to Japanese. That way the URL will be created as you want it to.

Is there any reason why you do not want to change the default language of your site? If it is by the language of the backend it is possible to change this in Users > Profile > Site Language.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.