This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Language switcher disappeared after the WPML updates.

Solution: In the wp_icl_languages table, the 2 languages we were using had the "Active" column set to 0. I set this back to 1 and now the languages are back.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by derekC-6 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
September 18, 2019 at 11:27 am

derekC-6

I am trying to:
Find the language switcher in our top menu bar
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
I expected to see:
Français
Instead, I got:
Nothing

September 18, 2019 at 11:58 am #4596131

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Have you had the language switcher before?
Since when this happens?
Did you update anything?
Is this a new or old issue? I mean is this a fresh site?

Let me know, please.

Regards,
Riffaz.

September 18, 2019 at 12:05 pm #4596167

derekC-6

Hello,

The language switcher has been there since 2015. I just noticed that it was gone today. It was there a few days ago.

We recently did a major upgrade to the site to the latest version of PHP, WordPress and WooCommerce. We also updated WPML to the beta version 8 because the release version was causing database issues and another support staff member recommended that upgrade. However, the language switcher was there after those upgrades. We did experience some database issues last week, but they were resolve from a backup. In what database table are the WPML settings stored?

When I check the languages in WPML, there are none listed. Also the languages are missing in the top admin bar. There's also a message "Some taxonomy terms are out of sync between languages.", but when I check, there are no issues reported.

Thanks

September 18, 2019 at 1:53 pm #4597267

derekC-6

Hello again,

I discovered that in the wp_icl_languages table, the 2 languages we were using had the "Active" column set to 0. I set this back to 1 and now the languages are back.

The disturbing question is how did this happen? Could your beta version have a bug of this magnitude? I certainly did not remove those languages from the site. In fact, I haven't touched the WPML settings in a long time.

Thanks

September 18, 2019 at 2:03 pm #4597319

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Glad you found the issue but this should not happen.

We never heard of this.
I will check this with our developers and let you know if they have any explanation for this.
As this is new this will take some time.

If you experience the issue again just let us know.
you can close this ticket for now. 🙂

Regards,
Riffaz.

September 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm #4597527

derekC-6

My issue is resolved for now, but the question remains on how this happened. Thank you!