This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.71 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: User was having issues translating the "Latest Posts" block from Gutenberg. Solution: This is a known issue that we have reported to the Gutenberg team, we have also suggested a fix for that but it is not yet released. See our errata about it and the link to our suggested fix: - https://wpml.org/errata/gutenberg-latest-posts-block-displays-posts-in-all-languages/ - https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/11984

The fix seems to be integrated into the Gutenberg plugin and not yet in WP core. https://wordpress.org/plugins/gutenberg/ (updated 2 weeks ago)

Use the Gutenberg plugin instead of the Gutenberg in WP Core.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
May 29, 2019 at 10:30 am #3914209

issamB

Dear Itamar,

on our WP site (v. 5.1) doesn't have neither provided link (in #post-3914151) to gutenberg, nor described function can be found; while latest posts with gutenberg are showing the same bug.
Can you advise to another fix?

May 29, 2019 at 5:17 pm #3917689

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. If you would like Itamar to help you with this ticket, let me know. Otherwise, I will be glad to help.

Can you please elaborate a little more on your question so I can better understand?
Sometimes screenshots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

June 1, 2019 at 10:01 am #3934807

issamB

Dear Jamal,
this means:
1. in our directory "plugins" there is no folder called gutenberg (while we do have gutenberg for block editing)
2. as well there is no function "render_block_core_latest_posts" in our repository

thanks in advance

June 3, 2019 at 8:29 am #3940115

issamB

Hi Jamal,
as gutenberg is in the core now, and no plugin anymore, what do you suggest to do to resolve this bug?

June 3, 2019 at 10:52 am #3941707

Jamal
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. This issue is supposed to be fixed with the latest versions of WordPress and WPML. According to your debug information, you are using an outdated version of WPML(4.2.1). Please make sure that everything is updated on your site.
If the problem persists then, please allow me temporary access to your backend and point me to the page that presents this issue.

Thanks,
Jamal

June 3, 2019 at 4:30 pm #3944459

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Yes please, ask to update the plugin to the latest versions. Make sure to have a backup, so we can restore the website in the worst scenarios.

If you think, it is a default Gutenberg block, I created a test server, you can use the following URL to connect to. hidden link
Would you like to reproduce the issue here? Please configure WPML similarly to your website and add the block to a page. If reproduced, I'll escalate it to our developers for a fix.

Best regards,
Jamal

June 4, 2019 at 9:14 am #3949533

issamB

Dear Jamal,
After a manual update to latest versions: same situation!

June 4, 2019 at 10:17 am #3950235

issamB

Thanks Jamal,
I couldn't reproduce the bug so far, after putting some sample entries into sandbox..
What next? comparing our settings in WPML?

June 4, 2019 at 12:25 pm #3951583

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Please make a database backup and run the routine "Set language inforamtions" in WPML->Support->Troubleshooting. This will hopefully resolve the issue.

If it did not, I'll need further access to your website, either by having a Duplicator copy or by migrating your website to our platform.

Let me know what you get.

Best regards,
Jamal

June 7, 2019 at 1:21 pm #3976693

issamB

Thank you Jamal,

Indeed, it didn't work out!
Our setup is done with Docker. The corresponding configuration and plugins are collected in the following repository: hidden link

This should make it relatively easy to set up the WordPress instance somewhere else.

June 7, 2019 at 2:42 pm #3977173

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. We will still need your help. I am not sure if we will be able to reproduce the error from your GitHub.

Can you provide a Duplicator package of your website or your dev environment? I activated the private box to share a URL to download the package.

Or you may migrate your website or dev environment to our platform. I already created a new website for you, please follow the instructions in the previous private message to perform the migration.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Jamal

June 25, 2019 at 9:55 am #4082929

issamB

Dear Jamal,
my Site is now duplicated: Looking forward to hear from you concerning the Gutenberg latest posts issue...

June 25, 2019 at 2:31 pm #4085461

Jamal
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I did not find a page that reproduces this issue. I have created a new page in English and added the Gutenberg block (latest posts), then translated the page through the Classic Translation Editor. But the translated page in the frontend did not show the translated (to Arabic) posts. Then I opened it in the backend and the backend showed the Arabic articles, so I updated, but the frontend still shows the English articles instead of the Arabic translations. See the attached images.

Discussing this with the theme, I have been told that this is a known issue that we have reported to the Gutenberg team, we have also suggested a fix for that but it is not yet released.
See our errata about it and the link to our suggested fix:
- https://wpml.org/errata/gutenberg-latest-posts-block-displays-posts-in-all-languages/
- hidden link

The fix seems to be integrated into the Gutenberg plugin and not yet in WP core.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/gutenberg/ (updated 2 weeks ago)

I wanted to test with the Gutenberg plugin, but I am not allowed to install a plugin. Even if I created an administrator user for me. I am still unable to install a plugin.
This is also useful to be able to register a new license for the migrated site because I wanted to update the WPML to the latest release.

I also created a new server to check if the issue will be reproduced, but it was not
hidden link

Then I managed to bypass the plugin installation which is deactivated through wp-config.php.

I updated the WPML plugins and installed the Gutenberg plugin and the issue seems resolved in my case. See this page
hidden link

Would you like to implement the same procedure on your website?
1. Make a full backup of your website(Database+files).
2. Update WPML plugins to the latest releases.
3. Install the Gutenberg plugin.

Then you should be able to add the "Latest posts" block and have the translated article shown.

Let me know what you get.

Best regards,
Jamal

June 25, 2019 at 6:01 pm #4086609

issamB

Thank you Jamal,

It does not look as if a satisfactory solution is possible, because it is only possible at short notice.
Actually, this is a fundamental limitation of your product and with us the voices become louder to look for other solutions...
Nevertheless, I thank you for the great effort you have put into the processing!
We will get back to you...

June 26, 2019 at 8:31 am #4090473

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll put this ticket as "I think it's resolved". If you don't reply within a week it will be closed. You can also mark it as resolved if the suggested workaround works for you.

At any time, feel free to open a new ticket and we'll do our best to help you.

Best regards,
Jamal