Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When WPML String Translation is updated, this error message is displayed: Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'InvalidArgumentException' with message 'Translation name cannot be empty'

Solution: That was a bug, but it was fixed. Make sure you are using the latest version of WPML String Translation.

If the problem persists with the updated version, follow the steps below:

- Backup your site before following the other steps - Click on the Plugins > Installed Plugins - Disable the WPML String Translation - Remove the WPML String Translation - Access your client (https://wpml.org/account/downloads/) area and download the latest version of WPML String Translation - Click on the Plugins > Add New > Upload plugin and select the downloaded file - Click on the "Install" button and active the WPML String Translation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by patrizio-romanoD 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
January 12, 2017 at 9:18 am #1180344

patrizio-romanoD

Hi,

First, consider that while I'm writing I partially solved this issue using an old patch found on this support forum, see below.

Issue:
After upgrading to the latest version, both WP (v 4.7) and all my WPML plugins (WPML, String Translation and Translation management) the website - staging.arquati.it - showed a lot of 500 error, happening only on pages, while not on any post type nor on translated pages.

I'm opening this thread following Dat Hoang suggestion (WPML Senior support), after this other one where he helped us solving a different issue -
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/multiple-issues-database-error-illegal-mix-of-collation-and-languages/

Please consider the following:
deactivating String Translations plugin solves the issue, despite breaking a vital service;
following a previously resolved issue, I tried making the change suggested here:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/page-down-with-uncaught-exception-invalidargumentexception-after-plugin-update/#post-1083234
as I had this patch working on the plugin previous versions.

This change looks working and solved the 500 error again, so I'm opening this ticket to ask if is there an other way to solve and get rid of the patch as well.

Thanks,

Patrizio

January 12, 2017 at 12:04 pm #1180588

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us.

Looking at the mentioned file in the other post I can see that this change is already included in the latest version of WPML String Translation, 2.5.1.

If this line was still in the old format, WPML String Translation was probably not updated correctly.

Please, follow the steps below:

- Backup your site before following the other steps
- Click on the Plugins > Installed Plugins
- Disable the WPML String Translation
- Remove the WPML String Translation
- Access your client (https://wpml.org/account/downloads/) area and download the latest version of WPML String Translation
- Click on the Plugins > Add New > Upload plugin and select the downloaded file
- Click on the "Install" button and active the WPML String Translation

After following these steps, please let me know if the problem persists.

Thank you.

January 12, 2017 at 3:39 pm #1180865

patrizio-romanoD

Hi Bruno,

after following the steps in your list, the pages are working again.
Thank you so much Bruno, please mark as solved and send my thanks also to your colleague Dat Hoang for the help on the previous issue.

Patrizio