Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The client uses the LayerSlider plugin and on translated pages the content of the slider was missing.

Solution: WordPress debug mode revealed warnings that indicated the problem was with the W3 Total Cache plugin settings, specifically that the option to minify JS.

- Create a debug log by setting debug mode in wp-config.php - Disable the setting to minify JS in the W3 Total Cache plugin

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by dustinN 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Nigel.

Author Posts
April 12, 2016 at 10:21 pm #859709

dustinN

I am trying to: Get LayerSlider visible again. I created a duplicate of the LayerSlider for my Japanese translation and assigned the different versions to each translation.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: A LayerSlider with four slides.

Instead, I got: A blank area where the LayerSlider should be. If you inspect the HTML/CSS/JS, the content is there, but it is not visible.

Steps to duplicate the issue:

April 13, 2016 at 12:41 pm #860224

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi Dustin

It's difficult for me to see what's going on here from the front end alone, but can we check a few things to see if we can identify the issue?

Firstly, I notice from your debug info that your WP Memory Limit in your server settings is just 40M, and the recommended minimum when using WPML is 128M. Could you please upgrade the WP memory allocation so that we can eliminate that as an issue (and it will improve the performance of your site in any case).

Secondly, can we try to isolate whether the problem relates to your theme or to a conflict with some of the other plugins you are using?

You should make sure you have an up-to-date backup before you start, and if you have a dev version to test changes on then please use that.

To check the theme, can you switch to a default theme such as twentysixteen and see if the problem is resolved?

If not, can you deactivate all non-WPML plugins (except for your LayerSlider plugin which you need activated to see the problem) and see whether that resolves the issue? If it does then you should be able to re-activate your plugins one-by-one until the problem resurfaces and that would identify where a conflict occurs.

Please let me know how you get on so I know how best to proceed.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards

Nigel

April 13, 2016 at 2:59 pm #860431

dustinN

I set WP_MEMORY_LIMIT to 128M, deactivated other plugins, and activated WP TwentyFifteen theme. The problem persists. However, when I am logged in, the LayerSlider works fine with either theme, and with all plugins active. That indicates it is not a theme problem, plugin conflict or a memory limit issue; it is more likely a WPML settings issue or an incompatibility between WPML and LayerSlider. But, the LayerSlider was working with WPML active for a week or two, so I doubt it's the latter.

Note: I reactivated The7 theme and plugins.

April 14, 2016 at 7:15 am #860863

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello again Dustin

Thanks for making those checks.

Could I ask you to turn on WP debug mode and create an error log to see if there are any errors or warnings generated?

See this page for more information: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

To enable debug mode, open your wp-config.php file and find the line

define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);

and change it to

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

This will create a debug.log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Rather than paste the file here (it can be long), could you please paste the debug.log file to pastebin.com and give me the link instead.

While looking for errors, could you also double-check the browser console for JavaScript errors? (Any of the main browsers has a developer console which will display JavaScript errors or warnings. Let me know which browser you are using if you have trouble locating it.)

Regards

Nigel

April 18, 2016 at 3:49 pm #863651

dustinN

Hi Nigel. Debug log showed me the problem. I had W3 Total Cache plugin set to minify JS that cause problems for WPML. I must not have cleared the cache or reloaded the page after deactivating W3 Total Cache during my initial tests. Thanks for your help.