Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by shlomiA 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
May 6, 2019 at 7:36 pm #3752369

shlomiA

Hi 🙂

I'm translating an About page from English to Hebrew, and I'm facing a few problems:

1) In English we have 4 paragraphs, broken into 9 sentences (segments) in the advanced translation editor (ATE). But in Hebrew we have a somewhat different text, with 3 paragraphs and 5 sentences. So obviously I cannot translate all segments...

I thought this would not be a problem - I will simply leave some segments blank. But apparently this isn't allowed (?), so I cannot complete the translation...

Isn't there an option to skip some segments when translating from one language to another?

2) Similarly, In English we used bold on one word, but in Hebrew we don't want to use bold. Again, ATE does not allow me to do this...

Isn't a warning about not using the HTML marker enough? Can't we let the user decide for herself, and supply a method to bypass this error message?

3) Lastly, on the same ATE page I get lots of segments that are really not supposed to be translated (see image, marked in red). I believe they all come from media files, but they are not visible text that the end user can see on the site (perhaps only in Alt text attributes, which we will translate - but there are many more segments than that). And again, I must supply a translation for them, even though I don't even know what they are...

I can copy all original values into the fields (in the image I did that for the first 2), but that's tedious (there are 32 of them) and uncalled for.

Can I mark all of the strings of this type not to be translated?

Thanks a lot

Yuda

May 7, 2019 at 5:56 am #3754131

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

I’m really sorry for letting you know that it's not possible to:

- Skip some segments when translating from one language to another
- Update the translating without the HTML markers
- mark some of the strings of that type not to be translated

As an alternative, you can try to use the classic translation editor: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

Further, I encourage you to add these features as a feature request from https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

I am sorry I couldn't be much help here.

Thanks

May 7, 2019 at 6:36 pm #3761215

shlomiA

Thanks Shekhar for your clear and candid reply.

I started to use the classic editor and I can mostly achieves with it what I need, so thanks 🙂

Shame that the on-boarding process doesn't stress this point to begin with, and pushes all new users to use the ATE, even though it doesn't suit all cases. This would have solved me some headache and precious time 🙂

I'ts also a weird decision in my view to enforce the exact structure and formatting on all languages, so I will take your suggestion and request these points as features.

May 7, 2019 at 6:38 pm #3761223

shlomiA

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!