This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.82 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Do i need different licenses for each staging and live sites?

Solution: Technically yes, but we offer a handy solution to go around this limitation. You can find it by clicking the link below.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/#registration-using-php

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 24, 2018 at 3:18 pm #2847041

ralphT-4

Hello,

Everything seems to be working fine but... My question is since I have separate WPML license keys for my live and staging sites do I need to update the live license key after moving staging to live?

Thanks,
Tom

October 24, 2018 at 3:33 pm #2847103

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

In theory yes, you need one for each domain. but you can:

1) Leave the development installation without a license key in the meantime or,

2) If you're moving from production to development installation (later down the road) using a plugin like AIO Migration, duplicator, etc, you can license it in the live site and then move it to development. You'll be warned that the license key is not right, but you can still use the site without issues. and the license will work again automatically once you migrate it back to the live site.

I hope what i just explained was clear enough. Don't hesitate to ask if you feel i wasn't.

October 24, 2018 at 3:51 pm #2847175

ralphT-4

Thanks for the direction. The host I use provides the staging and migration services. So I will simply update the WPML key after each migration.

October 31, 2018 at 1:31 pm #2866002

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

For further information, and for a third and maybe better alternative to solve your issue, you might want to check this link: https://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/#registration-using-php

I hope it's useful to your purpose.