This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jerremyW 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
September 11, 2018 at 8:28 pm

jerremyW

I am trying to: have button and icon links automatically being updated by WPML. I updated over 14000 strings, but it doesn't work.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link At the bottom the country flags are redirecting still to the original language, while the text underneath is redirecting to the current (English) language.

I expected to see: URLs of buttons and icon links being automatically updated.

Instead, I got: the URLs redirecting to the original language. Duplicating the pages to update the URLs doesn't work.

September 13, 2018 at 3:49 pm #2732267

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Can you please tell me how you are creating this content? If you are using the translation editor, have you edited the translation and manually translated the links?

Also, please try going to Settings -> Permalinks and select default and save your changes. Does this change the behavior of the links?

Also, with the credentials provided I am able to log in to your site but any time I click any of the options, I get a page not found error. Can you please double check the credentials?

September 15, 2018 at 2:00 pm #2737800

jerremyW

Hi Lauren,

Can you please tell me how you are creating this content? If you are using the translation editor, have you edited the translation and manually translated the links?
-- I'm using the translation editor and I have manually translated the links that were recognized within the translation editor, however, elements such as buttons and images created with VC are not recognized. I could manually edit all the links on the English pages to the correct English redirect, but that would take me quite some time for all the pages. That's why I'm looking for a more systematic solution.

Also, please try going to Settings -> Permalinks and select default and save your changes. Does this change the behavior of the links?
-- This does not solve the problem.

Also, with the credentials provided I am able to log in to your site but any time I click any of the options, I get a page not found error. Can you please double check the credentials?
-- The credentials are correct. It's possible that you reach a 500 error page. Just go back to the site and you will see the admin bar at the top and get to the admin dashboard.

September 17, 2018 at 3:08 pm #2741609

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

When I try to view the home page editor, I am still getting 500 error. I need to be able to look at the page editor and the translation editor. Anything I click in the backend returns a 500 error. It could be that the shortcodes for some of the content are not in the wpml-config.xml file. You can try manually adding these by going to WPML -> Settings -> Custom XML Configuration. Here is additional documentation: NM70!66RSKkikW3O5Rot!QeJ

Also, please try increasing the WP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

October 7, 2018 at 9:09 pm #2794331

jerremyW

Hello Lauren,

I've followed the guide and it's working for some elements, but especially images are not functioning (they remain their original URL). The same goes for icons. They still seem to be not recognized. I've used the XML code attached below.

<shortcode>
<tag>vc_figure</tag>
<attributes>
<attribute encoding="vc_link" type="link">href</attribute>
</attributes>
</shortcode>

and

<shortcode>
<tag encoding="base64">vc_icon_element-icon</tag>
</shortcode>

Any tips?