Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by enrico 6 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
March 1, 2015 at 6:55 pm #568911

enrico

Hi! My website takes a very high loading time (like 12sec), the highest loading time is taken by get browser language function by WPML plugin. The next views are optimized by W3 and information such as the language of the browser was cached, so automatically redirect to the page in the correct language. This is an important problem cause in the first visit, many users leave the page because of the loading time and these are all potential customers lost. I trust in your action to improve this situation. I can provide more information in a private field to protect customer privacy.
PS: Also the backend is very slow in loading, I followed the guides available but doesn't improve much the situation.
Thanks you for your help

March 2, 2015 at 1:22 pm #569291

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting us.
WPML 3.1.8.x is not compatible with W3 Total Cache, and having it working is known to cause severe performance issues.
At this time, I would recommend you to disable W3 Total Cache.

If you make a complete website and database backup, you might want to consider our latest beta - WPML 3.2 beta that is more compatible with W3 Total Cache, but I would not recommend you to test this on a production server. Also when you update to 3.2 there are some changes in the database, that would make it not possible to revert to previous version.

The most sound advice that I could provide for you at this time is to wait for the release of WPML 3.2 or disabling any caching mechanisms for now.

March 2, 2015 at 1:42 pm #569308

enrico

Oh.....great! What can I do? I need a caching plugin to improbe performances and mining code, which works well and compatible with WPML?

March 2, 2015 at 1:44 pm #569310

George Botsev
Supporter

If you not use object cache, it should be fine with W3 Total Cache.
For your performance issues, you might want to try the WPML 3.2 beta? Just remember to make backup first.

March 2, 2015 at 1:50 pm #569319

enrico

Thank you George, I'll let you know. I'm trying performances without the object cache. And I'll happy to test the beta version later in a development server.

March 2, 2015 at 2:08 pm #569333

enrico

Hello! I tryed disabling object cache and loading times now is about 9sec, backend seems gone well. Other improvements that can I do?
Actually I'm running WPML 3.1.8.4 on WP 4.1.1, shall I upgrade to 3.1.8.6?

March 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm #569336

George Botsev
Supporter

Thank you for trying this.
I don't think that you could improve more with 3.1.8.x branch of WPML and W3TC.
Updating to the latest version 3.1.8.6 will not help in any way for this issue.

Perhaps you can get our previous beta - 3.1.9 beta 4 and test it - it is with somewhat optimized performance, but I would not recommend you to do this on a production webiste unless you test it first on a staging environment.
The real improvement should come with the release of 3.2, as the latest beta of 3.2 is providing some pretty cool performance results, but since it is not a stable release - the staging and testing is a must for a serious business site.

March 10, 2015 at 3:15 pm #574703

enrico

Hi George, I saw that WPML 3.1.9 is now available, can I upgrate without any problem like data loss and translated strings? Any improvement with W3TC or get_browser_language?
Thank you

March 10, 2015 at 3:26 pm #574723

George Botsev
Supporter

Hello again.
Unfortunately the 3.1.9 release does not have these fixes related to W3TC. It is mainly a security update.
The other issues will be addressed in 3.2 release
You can update and there should be no problems with the translations missing.

As always it is recommended to make complete website and database backup.

March 27, 2015 at 2:31 pm #589450

enrico

Thank you