Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Change one language to another

Solution: There is no option that allows changing one language to another directly. A possible workaround would be to create a new language, duplicate all the content in batch form the main language and then set default language to a newly created language.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sebastianK-50 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
December 3, 2018 at 12:52 pm #2962303

sebastianK-50

Hi,

i changed the current language german (Germany) to german (Austria) but wpml is saying that the de_AT is not recommanded and I should use de_DE or de_CH. I dont want tp use Germny or Swiss as location becasue this is the iste for the austrian location.

Also the flag is not changing automaticaly. I had to change it manualy.

How can we fix this?

hidden link

We really need a fast solution for this.

Thanks
Sebastian

December 4, 2018 at 11:44 am #2966169

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,
Thank you for contacting WPML support!

The default locale for Austria is de_AT (hidden link). I just set this on my local site and I see no WPML warnings (please see attached image).

I recommend you to add a new language instead of modifying the already existing German.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

Does it help?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

December 4, 2018 at 1:18 pm #2966639

sebastianK-50

Hey Bruno,

thanks for your reply.

The problem is that i can't select German (Austria) as new language, change to default and keep the content of the default language.

It's a multisite duplicat and its language should be German (Austria).

When I create German (Austria) as nwe language and make it the default language the whole content gets lost. Is there a way to keep the content with the new default language?

I hope you can help us asap. We're under a bit time pressure.

Thanks
Sebastian

December 4, 2018 at 4:21 pm #2967373

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no option that would allow you to change one language to another directly, meaning something like converting existing translations from English to German.

A possible workaround would be to create a new language (Austrian German in our case), duplicate all the content in batch and then set default language to a newly created language (so that Austrian German would become the site default language).

You can duplicate everything (from German to Austrian German e.g) on the site easily by using Translation Management:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

Once everything is duplicated, you can translate that content independently (info about this also on the link), retaining the old content in their languages.

Let me know if this approach would work for your scenario.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

December 5, 2018 at 3:41 pm #2970638

sebastianK-50

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!