This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
April 9, 2019 at 2:04 pm #3567677

jaapB-3

Tell us what you are trying to do?
The local translator needs to upload sometimes an adjusted image in a post. Sometimes not. We have more than 100 images in the library. Only some of them needs to be replaced. I would like that the local translator can do this. I have three questions

1. Is this possible with the automatic capabilities of the local translator role? And if not, what should I give him for role?
2. What should I do with the bulk of translations in the WPML Media Translations? It is allmost impossible to find and replace there the right picture with so many pictures in the library.
3. How should I put the settings of Media Translations. I am afraid I have done something wrong by checking them all as yes in the first place. Can I restore that?

Is there any documentation that you are following? I have read several documentation item at your site

Is there a similar example that we can see? No unless I give you a login.

What is the link to your site? hidden link

I have a second question:
I do use a shortcode for a table. [table]..[/table] in between means a komma a column but a \, provides a komma. I need this difference. I cannot seem to restore this difference in the translator manager. For I cannot edit the html. Now the only thing I can do is to restore it in the classical editor. But than I loose this modifications in the translator manager. So what can I do?

Thanks for helping.

April 9, 2019 at 3:59 pm #3569161

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

I'll try to answer your first questions first.
1. Is this possible with the automatic capabilities of the local translator role? And if not, what should I give him for role?
For a user to be able to upload files to the media library, the minimal role to have is Author, more about WordPress roles in this article
https://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

2. What should I do with the bulk of translations in the WPML Media Translations? It is allmost impossible to find and replace there the right picture with so many pictures in the library.
I am sorry, i did not understand what do you mean. Can you elaborate a little more on this?
Are you talking about a way to filter images to get only those that interest you like in Medias->Library ?
If you beleive this is a feature that WPML should have, please use our specialized page to request this feature. https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

3. How should I put the settings of Media Translations. I am afraid I have done something wrong by checking them all as yes in the first place. Can I restore that?
If you are talking about the settings in the attached image, i am afraid there is no way to revert back the effect that was done. You can deactivate the settings that you want, but what was already done (example: duplicating images) will not be reverted, you will need to remove duplicates manually.

For your last question about the [table] shortcode. I can suggest following this section of our article to add a configuration for your special shortcode.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#page-builder-content

If this does not help, please create another ticket and we will help you get it settled.

Finally, can you please paste your WPML Debug information in the Debug information field?
- http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

April 9, 2019 at 7:22 pm #3570271

jaapB-3

Hi Jamal,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll respond from above
1. I would like to give the local translater additional access to WPML media translation. And give him the rights to edit and upload. Is giving him the author role the only way? He gets than more capabilities than needed. Just to check. If this is the only way, I will do that.

2. I would like to get only the pictures in Media translation from the post I am currently translating. Do I understand you well, that this is no standard procedure? Or what should I have done to achieve that situation? (In my situation I allready duplicated every image, see next question).

If you are talking about the settings in the attached image, i am afraid there is no way to revert back the effect that was done. You can deactivate the settings that you want, but what was already done (example: duplicating images) will not be reverted, you will need to remove duplicates manually.
Ok that is clear for me now.

For your last question about the [table] shortcode. I can suggest following this section of our article to add a configuration for your special shortcode.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#page-builder-content

If this does not help, please create another ticket and we will help you get it settled.
Ok, I will check that first.

Finally, can you please paste your WPML Debug information in the Debug information field?
- http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/
I will add it.

Thanks for your reply on the remaining questions above.
Best regards

April 9, 2019 at 7:27 pm #3570279

jaapB-3

Can I add here my debug information? I don't see an other option to do add it.
Thanks,

April 10, 2019 at 12:50 pm #3576239

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank your for your feedback and my apologies for the late reply.

I switched the debug info message to private to keep it secret. My apologies for that too, i forget to activate debug box. Now it is activated if you want to re-add the debug informations.

To answer question (1). Giving the user the author role is the most straightforward way. You can give him only the capability "upload_files". But this is not possible without custom code or another plugin. From the debug informations i can see that you are using our plugin "Toolset Access", you can create a custom role for the user and assign him the capabilities needed(as you will need to add him capabilities to edit posts). Here our documentation on using Toolset Access.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/access/

To answer your question (2), i am not sure if there is any way in WP or WPML to scope images to the edited post. I must confess, i still need more details on this to understand your needs. Can you add some screenshots? and more details on your use case ?

I remain at your disposal.

Best regards,
Jamal

April 11, 2019 at 1:03 pm #3587873

jaapB-3

Hi Jamal,

I added the debug information at the debug box.

About my first question. I am afraid I still don't understand the process of adding pictures for a certain language. I don't get the option to replace a picture. I tested a post, gave it to a testaccount of myself that has a Author role. I took the translation job but I could only translate the texts, although this post contains pictures. Please can you help so I can explain my translator too?

My second question is at this moment not as important as my first question.

I hope you can help.
Best regards

April 11, 2019 at 1:42 pm #3588387

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

If i understand well, the testaccount was not able to upload a translation of an image !
To be sure, i created a new test server, it has all WPML plugins needed. With your consent we can work together on it so we can both see the same thing. Credentials are in the private box.

Please perform a test and let me check, if you can add screenshots for me it will help me understand your needs better.

Best regards,
Jamal

April 11, 2019 at 3:53 pm #3590109

jaapB-3

Hi Jamal,
Thanks, I logged in, what to do next? I need to configure things first. It may be easier if I give you a temparary account to our website. Is that an option? If so, which e-mailadress can I use to give you access?
Or we can try this first. The problem is that using translator management, I can not see as a local translator how I need to replace images in a certain post that I translate. So I need to understand how that works on the local translator side. I tried it with the role of Autor, and still I don't understand the proces.
Hopes this makes my problem clearer.
Thanks,
Best regards

April 12, 2019 at 7:54 am #3595861

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Ok, we can work on your website, my email is jamal.b(at)onthegosystems.com, you can see it on my profile page https://wpml.org/forums/users/jamal-b/

Please if you can rexplain and add screenshots or urls so i can see exactly what you are seeing, i remain confused when you say upload, as there are many places where we can upload an image. If you can also record a short video, i often use screencastify, it will help me understand this use case throughly.

Best regards,
Jamal

April 12, 2019 at 9:07 am #3596795

jaapB-3

Hi Jamal,
I will try it with screenshots first. Nr 7 and 11 I'am logged in as administrator. Nr 16, 17 and 20 as a translator with Author role.
7: I have made a testpage, and I have selected this page in the translation dashboard, I clicked on translate also the image. In one stage, I get the message as seen in the screenshot.
11: I try to find the right picture in Media Translation. I cannot find the right one that I used in the post.
16: I logged out and logged in as a testtranslator with the role of Author. I translated the post automatically (sorry I don't speak Russian, so I kept many mistakes)
17: I finished the translation.
18: I try to find the right picture in Media Translation. Same problem ofcourse.

My questions:
- Should I replace the images before translating the post? Of can I do it later on?
- If I had to have done it before translating, how to solve this for allready translated posts? Since my translator has translated allready several posts.
- How can I find the right picture without trial and error in the bulk of pictures?
- If I am correctly, the external translator has to have additional capacities to handle the mediatranslations himself, minimum role of author. As we discussed before.

I hope my questions are clearer now...?

Thanks. I wait for your answer before making you a member of my site. Maybe this is enough for now.

April 12, 2019 at 1:54 pm #3599729

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the screenshots and the clear explanation, i think i understand better your question.
Short answer: For a translator to upload translated images/medias, he will need to be at least Editor.

Long answer:
Uploading translated images is done through WPML->Media Translation. This is only available for Administrator and Editor roles.
I agree this is too much priviliges, if you need this feature please request it this page https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Now, i will try to answer your questions below. The tests were run in this server, use this oneclick login link to see the users i have created and assigned as translators.
hidden link

- Should I replace the images before translating the post? Of can I do it later on?
You can do it later. See attached image, i have resent an already translated post to translation and selected the images i wanted to translate. This translation will only include images data like title, description and alternative text. To upload translate image, go through WPML->Media Translation.

- If I had to have done it before translating, how to solve this for allready translated posts? Since my translator has translated allready several posts.
Using the same method, resend posts to translation and select the images you want your translators to translate, again they will only be able to translate image data, only editors and administrators can upload through WPML->Media Translation.

- How can I find the right picture without trial and error in the bulk of pictures?
This question would need further investigation, maybe the media translation setup was not complete, and left images without language data assigned.

- If I am correctly, the external translator has to have additional capacities to handle the mediatranslations himself, minimum role of author. As we discussed before.
After performing this test, it appears to me that the "upload_files" capability (attributed to author) is not enough to be able to upload translated images. So i don't think the external translator should be able to upload images. If you need this feature please use the feature request page.

I hope i answered your questions, let me know what do you think about it!

Best regards,
Jamal

April 12, 2019 at 2:01 pm #3599763

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

I discussed this case with the team and we though maybe this combination of capabilites could give a user ability to translate Media through WPML->Media Translation.
I did not tested this yet.
- wpml_manage_media_translation
- edit_others_posts
- upload_files

Let me know what do you think about all this.

Best regards,
Jamal

April 16, 2019 at 2:36 pm #3623071
jaapB-3

Hi Jamal,

I am sorry for my late reply. I tried as an administrator to replace an image using media translation and in combination with translation management and it does not work. I would like to solve this before going further in the issue of which capabilitites a user should have.

- I made a testpost with a test image in order to translate. I translated the post.
- I added another testimage in the first language of the testpost.
- I selected this post again and put it in the queu of translation jobs and I selected also the image, in order to translate
- I went to mediatranslation, I selected: 'Needs Media File Translation'.
- I found the picture and I added the russian translated picture there.
- I logged in as a translator. I translated the post again and saved it.
- I check the translated post, and the picture is still the english picture.

What am I doing wrong here?

If this is solved, than I will bend over the right user capabilitys.

Thanks for helping again.

Best regards,

New threads created by Jamal and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/media-translation-not-working-2/

April 17, 2019 at 9:53 am #3629293

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

For support rules we are able to handle only one issue at the time. This help us to bring you a better service and also help other users to find all the information here exposed.
For that reason i created a new ticket for this issue.

Best regards,
Jamal

The topic ‘[Closed] local translator needs access to media translations’ is closed to new replies.