This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Rohan Sadanandan 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Rohan Sadanandan.

Author Posts
July 4, 2019 at 12:04 pm #4143015

warrenJ-2

If a site already is localized with the following sub directory site structures:

hidden link, hidden link, hidden link

and we needed to translate the English source site (www.example.com/en) and replace the existing target sites (www.example.com/fr, hidden link) how can WPML handle this?

Also, similarly, if the sites were setup already as country specific domains, (e.g. hidden link, hidden link, hidden link) how could WPML translate the source English site (www.example.com) and overwrite the existing target sites (e.g. hidden link, hidden link).

Thanks,
Warren

July 4, 2019 at 2:47 pm #4144655

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Do the localized site already use WPML?

How do the different URL's currently work?

Are you using separate WP installs or Multisite or by any other plugins?

You need to navigate to & select WPML > Languages > Language URL format > "Different languages in directories". This option will allow you to use domains like hidden link, hidden link, hidden link...etc

For the second question,

You need to select WPML > Languages > Language URL format > "A different domain per language" for using URL's like hidden link, hidden link

How do you currently manage the country-specific domains?
Are you using a multisite?

If you are using multisite, you have to merge the multisite to a single site, then link the translated page one by one and use the option for domains per language.

You can refer to this documentation for more details on this:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/

Thanks,
Rohan

July 5, 2019 at 11:35 am #4150841

warrenJ-2

Hi - thanks for your response. My queries to your response:

1. Are you using separate WP installs or Multisite or by any other plugins?
- The client may use either of the above. When I test WPML on a multi-site setup with hidden link, hidden link, hidden link and configure the WPML > Languages > Language URL format > "Different languages in directories" as you mention, the result is that WPML will add a sub directory to the existing sub directory of the source site, e.g. hidden link which is not we want. We need to be able to have the existing sub directory URLs as they are, e.g.hidden link. Is this possible?

2. For country specific domains, WPML doesn't validate hidden link, hidden link in the WPML > Languages > Language URL format > "A different domain per language" setting on our single site setup (not mult-site). It generates an error "not valid". It can only validate sub domains, e.g. fr.example.com, de.example.com...etc. Can you please confirm is this is the case?

Cheers,
Warren

July 5, 2019 at 11:42 am #4150887

warrenJ-2

screenshot of country specific domain error validation in WPML

July 5, 2019 at 3:44 pm #4152575

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

For the first question, the normal working of WPML is as mentioned by you.
WPML works on a single site. WPML cannot connect two or multiple subsites or separate WP installs.
So in your case install the WPML on the main site and then migrate the content from translated subsite or separate site to WPML.
For migration, you can use WP All import plugin.

For different domains per language, could you please confirm whether you are following the steps mentioned here:
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Thanks,
Rohan

July 5, 2019 at 6:27 pm #4153389

warrenJ-2

Thanks for that info. Regarding the different domains per language I did follow your process. Please see my earlier screenshot.

July 8, 2019 at 6:29 am #4159303

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

Please go to WPML > Support > Debug Information and give me the information in the next reply. You can read the detailed instruction here: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.
Instructions to send private information are here: hidden link

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thanks,
Rohan

July 9, 2019 at 5:57 am #4167563

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

I just checked your site.

It seems that the domains you have entered (onpressidium.nl, onpressidium.fr, onpressidium.de...) does not exist. You can enter only valid domain names here.

Once you have valid domain names, you need to set the DNS records as mentioned here:
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Thanks,
Rohan

July 12, 2019 at 1:56 pm #4199513

warrenJ-2

Hi Rohan - thanks for your response. I understand the issue with the country specific domains now.

Regarding the scenario where an existing website has the source English content stored as a sub directory URL, e.g. hidden link, how can WPML translate that content into the following target URL structures: hidden link, hidden link. We can't migrate the EN content into the main domain hidden link as the client's existing URL for their English site must be the same (www.example.com/en).

Cheers,
Warren

July 12, 2019 at 4:42 pm #4200517

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

As I have mentioned, WPML works on a single site. WPML cannot connect two or multiple subsites or separate WP installs. You need to migrate the contents to a single site & need to select different domains per language.

Thanks,
Rohan