Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Diego Pereira 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
March 13, 2019 at 7:49 am

martineG-3

I am trying to: update a translation of a project

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
hidden link

I expected to see:
The english translation

Instead, I got:
Partly dutch and partlyenglish translation.
-------
Hello,

On our website we have a lot of projects which are translated to english and french and everything was working well.
Recently we tried to update some project information in the original dutch language.
Then we would like to edit the translation also.
When cliking the round arrow for translation update not all fields are listed. After saving we lose the original english translation and the dutch version is showing on the english page.
What could be causing this problem?

Right now every project we would like to translate is causing loss of information.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

March 13, 2019 at 8:43 am
March 14, 2019 at 11:23 am #3343601

martineG-3

Hello Itamar (or other support)

Thanks for your support the other day.
However, we are stille xperiencing problems with our translations.
Our main language is dutch, Our other languages are english and french.

All translations were made within WPML.

Right now, we are facing following problem .
When we would like to change some information within an existing project sheet (dutch), the update translations button appears. So far so good. When clicking on the fields to translate are showing. Here some fields are missing (project description and project details). When updating the translation it'll result in data loss in the translated projects.
Since the two listed fields were not there to translate, it'll show the dutch version of those two fields.

For example with the project hidden link
- in the backend of dutch version you can see the fields as shown in https://wpml.org/wp-content/uploads/tmp/capture_building_dutch_version_backend.png
- in the english translation you can notice not all fields are listed and therefore cannot be translated. See image https://wpml.org/wp-content/uploads/tmp/capture_building_english_translation_backend.png

How can we solve this problem. Some items are semi-global, but that shouldn't be a problem, because some fields are listed correctly in the translations, others don't.

Could re-installing WPML solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Tony

capture-building-english-translation-backend.png
capture-building-dutch-version-backend.png
March 14, 2019 at 5:41 pm
March 14, 2019 at 5:42 pm #3347631

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @martineg-3, welcome to the WPML support forum!

I sent some instructions to replicate the website through a private message (previous answer).

Please let me know if it worked for you. If so, please send us clear instructions on how to see/reproduce the issue.

Kind regards,
Diego

March 15, 2019 at 9:01 am #3352167

martineG-3

Hello Diego,
I've tried to set-up the test server.
- Installed the plugin
- activated it
- entered the credentials
- then the site is validating for a while
- I get an error (see image)

I think I have to enter my Cloudway platform credentials which I don't have.
Should I create one?
What am i doing wrong?
Tony

cloudways.jpg
March 15, 2019 at 5:50 pm #3356177

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

Sorry, I forgot to send the data. As you already installed the plugin, I'm running the migration for you.

I will send you feedback soon.

Kind regards,
Diego

March 16, 2019 at 9:45 pm #3361533

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

I was able to duplicate the website here: hidden link

Could you specify which fields are missing in the translationitor for the "universiteit-gent" project? hidden link

If possible, please send us some screenshots. I will run some tests on the duplicated website.

Kind regards,
Diego

March 18, 2019 at 9:27 am #3367279

martineG-3

Hello Diego,

Thanks for looking into it.
Attached you'll find two sreenshots of the Capture Building project
hidden link

As you can see, the project description and details are not visible in the translation fields of WPML.
see image: capture-building-dutch-version-backend.png
and image: capture-building-english-vtranslation-backend.png
Also the secondary title is not displayed to translate.

For new projects we are using the layout shown in image layout.jpg
As you can see in here there is a double version as to try different solutions.
see image premade-layout-for-new-projects.
Maybe this can clarify some problems?

Thanks in advance for your support and feedback.
Tony

premade-layout-for-new-projects.png
layout.jpg
capture-building-english-translation-backend.png
capture-building-dutch-version-backend.png
March 19, 2019 at 3:17 pm #3380529

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you. According to our documentation, the global modules should be translated on Divi > Divi Library: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/#translating-divi-global-items

However, in your website, these modules are only creating the structure. The content of these modules are defined on each page. Is that correct?

I was able to translate these modules using the manual editor:
- Go to the edit screen of the page (original language).
- Turn off the "Use WPML's Translation Editor" on the right sidebar
- Select your editor preferences and save
- Edit the translation

You can check on these pages:
- hidden link (original)
- hidden link (translation)

Please let me know if this is a suitable solution for you.

Kind regards,
Diego

s-manualeditor.png
March 21, 2019 at 7:53 am #3396317

martineG-3

Hello Diego,

Thanks for your time and effort for looking into this issue.

I have checked your pages ans notice the changes are made separately. I am aware on how that procedure work. I just don' t undestand why translations aren' t synchronised anymore.

<quote>However, in your website, these modules are only creating the structure. The content of these modules are defined on each page. Is that correct?</quote>
That shouldn' t be the case, Diego.

We have always been translating with WPML like this:
- create a project in our layout, save it,
- Click on the + button for english and french (add option to copy images)
- fill out the fields with the correct translation and update/save.
- languages were displayed properly with language switcher.

You are suggesting now that the pages are defined on each page separately. That would mean that when updating an image in the original language they are no longer synchronised with english and french versions, and have to be added separately.
Is that correct?
That would be more work.
(The only pages that are no longer synchronised are some of the menu pages since they are working with different galleries of the Final Tiles Gallery plugin).

At the moment it means that when making a change in the content of an original project translations are lost.
It would mean that we have to save all translations in a separate document.
After making a change in the original, we have to add the translations separately in the english and french version.

Main question is: Why has the synchronisation been lost? Since it always has been working before.

Thanks, Tony

March 21, 2019 at 8:52 pm #3422577

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hello Tony,

Your workflow seems correctly. However I'm a bit confused with the structure on the back-end, here is what I found so far:
- You add the modules to the page using DIvi Builder, save, then click on the "+" icon to translate and these modules are displayed on the translation editor. This is the correct and expected behavior.
- However, it seems the Divi Modules are green, which means that they are set as "global modules"
- According to our documentation, global modules should be translated on Divi > Divi Library: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/#translating-divi-global-items
- I did a search for "PF (NL/FR/EN)_Projecttekst NL_Global" on Divi > Library, but I did not find it.
- I added a Divi Text module (not global) on the project, saved, and this new module was available on the Translation management (see screenshot).

Could you explain to me why you are using global modules (instead of normal modules) and how these modules have been transformed into global ones? This seems to be a new feature of Divi, so I'm a bit confused. I need to understand it to find a way to translate them without the manual editor or send them to our compatibility team.

Kind regards,
Diego

es1.png
es2.png
es3.png
es4.png
es5.png
March 22, 2019 at 10:16 am #3439141

martineG-3

Hello Diego,

Thanks for the feedback.
I hope to clarify things a bit.

* We are using the layout PF (NL)_Definitieve Layout_06/05/2016 from our DIVI Library
(See screenshot 01-used-layout.png)

* The layout looks like this
(see screenshot 02-used-layout-backend.png)
The red arrows are the fields which do not show anymore in the backend to translate.
(They did show in the past)

* When we want to translate a project, following fields show.
(See screenshot 03-used-layout-translation.png)
As you can see the fields with the red arrow from screenshot 2 are not visible here.

Below the line some information which could be used for the missing fields.
Maybe you can create a test-project and see what we mean.
We would like to use WPML as we has always been using it. So, not leaving the translation editor as suggested in your earlies reply.

Thanks in advance.
Tony
-------------------------

FIELDS TO BE TRANSLATED

* PF (NL)_Subtitel projectbeschrijving_Global
DUTCH: Projectbeschrijving
ENGLISH: Project description

* PF (NL/FR/EN)_Projecttekst NL_Global

DUTCH:
Het nieuwe onderzoekscentrum voor P&G in Singapore bestaat uit een Innovation centre dat opgedeeld is in laboratoria, sensory spaces (voor verschillende businessunits), een proces onderzoekslab en verschillende ondersteunende functies. SVR-ARCHITECTS maakt deel uit van een internationaal team (CH2MHill, Orbit, Takenaka) en is specifiek verantwoordelijk voor de programmering en ‘ontwerp’ van de laboratoria en de pilot plant.
ENGLISH:
P&G’s new research centre in Singapore consists of an innovation centre divided into laboratories, sensory spaces (for various business units), a process research lab and various support functions. SVR-ARCHITECTS formed part of an international team (CH2MHill, Orbit, Takenaka) and was specifically responsible for the programming and design of the laboratories and the pilot plant.

* PF (NL)_Subtitel projectdetails_Global
DUTCH: Projectdetails
ENGLISH: Project details

* PF (NL)_Detailgegevens_Global
DUTCH:
⦁ Bouwheer: Procter & Gamble
⦁ Datum oplevering: 2014
⦁ Locatie: Singapore
⦁ Status: Gerealiseerd
⦁ Vloeroppervlakte: +/- 32.000m2 Innovation centre, +/- 7.000m2 labs, sensory
⦁ paces en PRL
⦁ Type: Onderzoek
⦁ Fotografie: Procter & Gamble
ENGLISH:
⦁ Client: Procter & Gamble
⦁ Completion date: 2014
⦁ Location (street)/country: Singapore
⦁ Status: completed
⦁ Floor area: ± 7.000 m² labs, sensory spaces and PRL
⦁ Type: Laboratories
⦁ Photography: Procter & Gamble

03-used-layout-translation.png
02-used-layout-backend.png
01-used-layout.png
March 22, 2019 at 7:00 pm #3443787

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

I did a search for the "PF (NL)_Definitieve Layout_06/05/2016" on Divi > Divi Library but did not find it (see screenshot).

Is this correct? What is the correct way to access/edit this layout?

Kind regards,
Diego

ss62.png
March 25, 2019 at 9:19 am #3450809

martineG-3

Hello Diego,
Sorry to keep you waiting.
The location of the layout project sheet (PF (NL)_Definitieve Layout_06/05/2016) can be found as follows:

- create new project (screen1.png - steps 1 and 2)
- switch to builder (screen1.png - step 3)
- use premade layout
- choose your saved layouts (screen2.png step 4)
- select layout projectfiches (screen3.png step 5)
- the layout will appear on the right (screen3.png step 6)
- Select this and you'll see the format we're working with.

I hope this will work.

Thanks in advance
Tony

screen3.png
screen2.png
screen1.png