Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 39 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Izzi Hassan 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
October 3, 2019 at 8:04 pm #4691187

nuriG

Dear,

When I make some translations in strings, I'm losing those translations whenever I update my wordpress, theme or plugins.

Previously, I was familiar with Loco Translate where they used to work with "safe location". In their case, all translations files needed to be located in wp-content > languages > loco and you could be sure that all your translations were 100% safe.

With WPML, I didn't understand yet how the system works. Where are my translations? How can I be sure that the translations I make in String Translations are safe?

Please provide comprehensive and detailed answer TO THE POINT.

Thanks

October 4, 2019 at 7:54 am #4693563

nuriG

When I check my file manager, I see so many duplicates of translations files in so many folders. I don't know how to identify which files are the ones used by WPML. Can I provide you access and you help me clean this whole mess?

hidden link

Thanks

October 4, 2019 at 12:27 pm #4695783

nuriG

Hellooo?? Someone to answer

October 4, 2019 at 12:36 pm #4695871

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to WPML Support.

I'm sorry you had to wait for a response. Our support queues are quite full at the moment.

I have deleted your previous reply since you had shared your access details publicly. I'm going to share them again privately and securely.

Someone will be along to take a look and provide help shortly.

October 4, 2019 at 1:29 pm #4696055

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I took a quick look at your website and it looks like there is already a lot of data in there, including translated Pages.

Immediately, I would recommend not learning to use WPML on a live site. Please take a backup of your website and set up a development or staging site to play around in. We recommend using something like the Duplicator Plugin:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Next, could you tell me what you're trying to accomplish? WPML does not recommend modifying language files directly. However, we do support it.

I would recommend reading the Getting Started articles in our documentation to get used to how WPML does things:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

Please note that any changes you make within WPML will not get overwritten by plugin or theme updates since they are stored in the database rather than in your .mo and .po files. Your Theme and plugins localization settings are also set to use WPML's String Translation rather than .mo and .po files.

Please read some documentation and also describe where you are updating or adding translations which are getting overwritten by updates, and I'll be happy to assist you further.

October 4, 2019 at 2:50 pm #4696631

nuriG

I gave you access to my site.

Please check the configuration of my WPML without touching anything please, and just confirm me clearly whether or not ALL my translations are safe.

When I say "ALL", I'm refering all translations for WordPress, Plugins and Theme. Please check carefully.

October 4, 2019 at 4:20 pm #4697411

nuriG

I ask this because I DID LOSE some WooCommerce French translations. I had custom translations of my French version of WooCommerce, which totally disappeared when I made an update. There was a new version of the WooCommerce French translations and it erased my own translations.

Please connect on my site and investigate if my installation is correct. And provide me full insurance that my translations won't be lost if I update wordpress, theme or plugins. Thanks

October 4, 2019 at 5:16 pm #4697667

nuriG

Please read again my initial post where I said that I was using in the past Loco, before coming to WPML. Therefore, to not lose all the translations I made in the past with Loco, I made an import of the translations.

Because of this, I noticed that the translations became the "original" values. Could this explain why I had lost the WooCommerce French translations when the same was updated by the new version of the WooCommerce French translations?

Please investgiate throroughly on my site, not just sending me your general documentation excerpt. I need careful technical assistance here, I don't have time to waste please.

October 4, 2019 at 5:22 pm #4697669

nuriG

I also would like that you investigate on the localisation of my translations files in the path "wp-content > languages"

I have a lot of duplicate language files. I don't know how to fix this mess. Which of those files is the one used by WPML? Which files should I keep? Which ones can I archive?

Your documentation is not clear at all on how to keep translations files safe! Please be clear.

Thanks

October 4, 2019 at 5:22 pm #4697671

nuriG

I expect an answer STEP BY STEP on ALL the points I mentionned above.

October 6, 2019 at 10:16 pm #4703415

nuriG

I found the reason why I'm losing translations but I still need your help to fix it.

Explanation. I used to work with Loco Translate. I took all my translations done there into 1 file for each plugin or theme, and I then imported all those files into WPML.

After the export, the initial values from the theme or plugin have been erased by my own values which then became the "original values". So at this stage, WPML believes that the original values are MY values.

Now if I update my theme or plugins, those new "original values" (those I made myself) will revert to the real original values whenever I update the team or plugin. Therefore, I'd lose my translations again.

This is now a real problem. How can I fix this?

Thanks

October 7, 2019 at 5:56 am #4704387

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Could you confirm how you "imported" files into WPML?

If you:
- import .mo files into WPML using String Translation,
- and have your How to translate strings in themes and plugins? setting set to Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation...,

then WPML imports all your translations into the database and disables the language files. This means that any changes you make using WPML -> String Translation are saved in the database, and are not going to be overwritten by updates to your theme or plugins.

If your translations are indeed being overwritten somehow, then we will need to recreate the problem first and then debug it, as this is not normal WPML behavior. I will need to set up a staging site to safely test what you are seeing.

We can take this step once you confirm that you are using String Translation to manage translations but they are being overwritten. I will need updated credentials and permission to make a staging clone of your website.

And again, thank you for your patience. I will try my best to make sure you are all set to update your set without concern.

October 7, 2019 at 12:04 pm #4706953

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Just to confirm that I'm looking into this. I can see what you mean by translations being lost when you created a staging server. I will let you know once I have some insight into why this might be happening.

We will not be making any changes to your live website during this time.

October 8, 2019 at 10:43 am #4714399

nuriG

Any update here?

I have a specific example to show you how the imported value erased the original value. Check the attachment below.

You see that my own value "Mes adresses" became the original value for the French Translation of WooCommerce.

Instead, I was expecting that the imported value would be placed in the editable box and have the setting "Use my translation" checked.

October 8, 2019 at 3:26 pm #4716825

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

At the moment it seems to me that your file-system on the staging site is identical to the live site. Your translations in the WPML -> String Translations folder are also identical. It doesn't seem like you've "lost" any translations but some are not showing up on the front-end in the live site.

The only thing that I can see is that the "Text Domains" of the plugins seem to have different values on the staging site than on the live site. We're not sure why this is happening.

I have not made any changes to your live or staging sites. With your permission I'm going to make a copy of your site on our servers and try updating theme and plugins / migrating. You will have access to the staging site we set up and we would delete the site as soon as your issue is resolved.

Once we are able to see what is causing this, we will be able to provide you with specific instructions on how to fix the problem and be able to safely update your website without losing translations.

The topic ‘[Closed] Losing translations when updating wordpress/theme/plugin’ is closed to new replies.