Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 39 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Izzi Hassan 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
October 8, 2019 at 3:37 pm #4716921

nuriG

Dear Hassan,

Thanks for the explanations. I made a backup of my site and I grant you authorization to take a copy of my live site.

Do you need hosting access for this, or can you do it through a free WordPress plugin?

Thanks

October 8, 2019 at 5:40 pm #4717461

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for your permission.

I will be able to use a plugin to take a back up and set up the site. I will update you as soon as we have run some tests and understand what is happening.

October 9, 2019 at 9:53 am #4721499

nuriG

I have just found String Translation disabled. Is it you who disabled it? If so, who allowed you to disable it? I told you specifically to not touch my live site !! I only accepted for you to take a copy of my site, not to touch it

October 9, 2019 at 10:04 am #4721631

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

All I have done is to add the plugin "CloudWays Migrator". I have not disabled any plugins or changed any settings on either of your sites.

I can see the String Translation plugin is active. Did you suddenly see it as deactivated because the only thing that I have done is to run a migration using our CloudWays plugin which failed. I was just looking at the logs to see why it failed.

October 9, 2019 at 11:13 am #4722073

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

One thing I wanted to mention is that the issue you related

I am going to attempt another migration if all is well with your site currently. If it fails again, I will ask you to make a backup using Duplicator or another plugin, and share it with us.

I will wait for you to confirm before running the migration again. You can see the plugin we use "Cloudways Migrate". If you like, I can give you the details to run the migration yourself so that you know we are not making any changes to your live site.

October 9, 2019 at 11:52 am #4722359

nuriG

Ok for you to run the copy of the site

October 11, 2019 at 8:01 am #4736249

nuriG

Any update here?

October 11, 2019 at 12:41 pm #4738241

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I took a look and I have some information for you:

- The duplicates are not normal. WPML does not use a /wp-content/languages/wpml/ folder. If you didn't upload that folder manually, then it's possible you tried to update WPML to our latest beta version which created that folder.

You should be able to delete the folder off your server without losing translations but please try this on a staging site first.

- When you import a translation file for a plugin or theme, it is stored in the /wp-content/languages/[plugin|theme] folder. These files are able to be overridden when a theme or plugin updates, which is why you seemed to lose translations.

- To avoid "losing" translations, re-import your translation files, making sure you check the box next to Also create translations according to the .po file.

This will import your translations into the text boxes that you expect to see them in, with the "Use my translation" option checked.

This will also save the imported translation to the WPML database tables and should not be overwritten when updating or migrating your website.

I recommend taking a full backup of the site and then creating a staging site to test the process above. Once the translations are imported correctly, try updating the theme and plugins and you shouldn't lose translations any more.

I could not try this solution on your server as I saw that you have deleted the staging site. I did try it on a sandbox website where it worked fine. While we are happy to assist you in using WPML effectively and safely, I did notice that you need to upgrade your subscription in order to get support and updates for some of the features you are using on this website.

You can upgrade your subscription to WPML buy purchasing Multilingual CMS while logged in on this page:
https://wpml.org/purchase/

We will be happy to assist you further once you have tried these steps and upgraded your WPML subscription.

October 11, 2019 at 7:42 pm #4741081

nuriG

Dear,

Thanks for the information.

Let's focus on the losing translation point. Based on what you say, it seems the import was done wrong previously. To fix this, I'd then need to re-import the file but the problem is that I've worked in the meantime in the WPML translations. Would the below steps do it ?

1) Go in String Translation
2) Export each domain one by one in a .po file
3) Re-import each domain one by one from the .po file
4) Hit "Also create translations according to the .po file"
5) Select the right function related by the .po file

Tough, I still have some questions.

a) Each export of the .po file contains ALL the languages included in the domain, right?

b) If I do the above steps, can you confirm that I'd keep all my former translations : first, those that were included in the .po file that I imported into WPML and, second, those made in WPML itself after the import?

Thanks

October 11, 2019 at 8:04 pm #4741101

nuriG

I just tried the steps I described above. I've made an export of the .po file currently available in WPML. So I have 1 file coming from my production environment for WooCommerce french translations.

If I'm not wrong, this file should normally contain all translations previously made with Loco Translate (that I imported in WPML afterwards) + those made directly in WPML.

I created a staging where I forced an update of the WooCommerce translations with the latest version. What the update did : keep translations made in WPML and erase the translations previously imported through the .po file coming from Loco Translate.

Then, I imported the .po file coming from my production environment (which is supposed to contain all right?) and I hit "Also create translations from the .po file" but still, the former translations aren't showing up. I have only the translations made within WPML, and nothing else.

Can you help please?

October 14, 2019 at 7:38 am #4747705

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

The exported .po files will only contain translations that have been created in WPML, or imported with the "Also create translations according to the .po file" option selected.

Please try this process instead:
- Update your plugins and theme on the staging site.

- On the production site, download the plugins, themes and wpml folders from the /wp-content/languages/ folder.

Copy them over to the staging site. This should bring over the translations you had imported originally.

- On the production site, export the .po files one by one for each domain.

- On the staging site, import the .po files one by one with the "Also create translations according to the .po file" option checked. This should bring over the translations you modified inside WPML.

If it doesn't work, I will need to create a staging site using WP Staging and will try to find a solution that works on your site.

October 14, 2019 at 8:14 am #4747965

nuriG

Dear,

Thanks for the steps. I just tried your procedure but it's still not working.

I can provide you access, please open a provide section.

Thanks

October 14, 2019 at 8:55 am #4748247

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Please find the credentials sharing fields below.

October 16, 2019 at 7:35 pm #4768279

nuriG

Still no news?

October 17, 2019 at 6:29 pm #4776695

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I wanted to make sure I know exactly what is happening before we update you.

So from what I can see, there are multiple ".po" files imported for WooCommerce. I'm not sure why simply migrating those files causes them to override each other differently and I'm trying to put together a process for you to be able to merge the translations and import them correctly.

However, I cannot escalate this case since your subscription does not cover support for all of WPML's features. I would recommend once again that you upgrade your subscription so that we can provide ongoing support for your website.

The topic ‘[Closed] Losing translations when updating wordpress/theme/plugin’ is closed to new replies.