This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 17, 2019 at 5:27 am #4225963

marcM-23

Hi,

I opened a ticket with the theme support from kleo. They switched the translation domain from "kleo_framework" to "kleo" in a theme update. Since then, I lost :
- the standard theme translation to French is not working anymore
- my custom translations to French are not working anymore

Instead the new strings register again but show as "not translated" even though they are already in String Translations once with the new domain "kleo".

I have this issue on multiple sites. Please see the ticket with Kleo for details:
hidden link

I'm in the process to create a Cloudways clone for this other ticket, can we use the same base for troubleshooting ?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wordpress-error-caused-by-wpml-translation-management/

Best,
Marc

July 17, 2019 at 8:29 am #4227451

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Since then, I lost :

As far as I'm concerned, this is expected in fact. Because WPML - and most likely other multilingual plugins, will load translations based on the textdomain. But if the textdomain Is changed for some reason - which is in my opinion a practice that should not be done and it is done rarely - WPML will not be able to connect the old textdomain values within the new textdomain. So these will not be the same strings anymore.

Therefore, as a see it, the only way would be the following:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/need-to-change-string-translation-domain/#post-947669

Or something like this perhaps?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-of-text-domain/#post-1264698
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-of-text-domain/#post-1265656

I think that this information might help you in understanding of how this data is stored:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/#string_translation

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 17, 2019 at 11:43 am #4229569

marcM-23

Hi Bruno,

Not sure you get the request. The theme kleo DID change their domain because they had to comply with something that don't understand. I trust they did it well, because it's not like all their customers are opening tickets. However, it doesn't work on several of my sites.

I followed the instruction ont he first link, rescanning the theme doesn't work, it gets stuck at 854 stings for hours. (screenshot).

The other links tell me how to change the domain, but this is already done by the kleo developper.

This ticket needs troubleshooting and looking into it.

Best,
Marc

July 17, 2019 at 12:04 pm #4229793

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi Marc,

The other links tell me how to change the domain, but this is already done by the kleo developper.

So they did it directly within database of your site and it did not help?

I followed the instruction ont he first link, rescanning the theme doesn't work, it gets stuck at 854 stings for hours. (screenshot).

Let's focus on this. Can you tell me, when the process gets stuck, if something shows up in:
- Chrome console ( something like admin-ajax 500 error or similar)
- WordPress debug.log
-- 1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Reproduce the issue - scan the theme.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just 50 lines or so will do. Please censor any sensitive information.

If none of these return any results, may I also ask the following:

Login: hidden link
Username: demo
Password: Mv3ph9G8f8IR

Please install the theme here and try scanning. Let's see if this is potentially a compatibility issue or is something blocking this on your site.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 17, 2019 at 1:33 pm #4230563

marcM-23

Hi Bruno,

1. Please see Kleo's release note about changing that domain:
hidden link
I did have to run click on a button to update the database, so they must have had a script to update all the strings. They look like they're updated correctly, they just re-register when used instead of pulling the existing strings.

2. Here's the chrome console error when it gets stuck on 854 strings:

com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php 510
(anonymous) @ VM523:1
send @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
ajax @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
scanFilesAjax @ theme-plugin-localization.js:207
scanFilesAjaxDone @ theme-plugin-localization.js:220
(anonymous) @ theme-plugin-localization.js:214
i @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:2
fireWith @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:2
x @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
c @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
XMLHttpRequest.send (async)
send @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
ajax @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
i @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:2
fireWith @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:2
x @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
c @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:4
scanDirSuccess @ theme-plugin-localization.js:260
scanDirAjax @ theme-plugin-localization.js:175
(anonymous) @ theme-plugin-localization.js:168
scan @ theme-plugin-localization.js:152
(anonymous) @ theme-plugin-localization.js:125
dispatch @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:3
r.handle @ load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,underscore,wp-util,moxiejs,plupload,jquery-ui-sortable&ver=5.2.2:3

3. All the debug.log has are PHP Notices that seem unrelated.

Best,
Marc

July 17, 2019 at 1:38 pm #4230619

marcM-23

I tested the scan the theme on another site and have the same issue, it blocks at 603 strings:

Here's the console log error:

VM147:1 POST hidden link 500
(anonymous) @ VM147:1
send @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
ajax @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
scanFilesAjax @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:207
scanFilesAjaxDone @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:220
(anonymous) @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:214
i @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:2
fireWith @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:2
x @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
c @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
send @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
ajax @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
i @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:2
fireWith @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:2
x @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
c @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:4
scanDirSuccess @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:260
scanDirAjax @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:175
(anonymous) @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:168
scan @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:152
(anonymous) @ theme-plugin-localization.js?ver=2.10.4:125
dispatch @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:3
r.handle @ load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,jquery-ui-core,jquery-ui-widget,jquery-ui-mouse,jquery-ui-draggable,jquery-ui-resizable,jquery-ui-but&load[]=ton,jquery-ui-position,jquery-ui-dialog,utils,jquery-ui-sortable,underscore,wp-util,wp-pointer&ver=5.2.2:3

July 17, 2019 at 1:59 pm #4230909

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I see - so it is indeed admin-ajax.php 500 error as I thought it would be. This error may have multiple causes and it's always a difficult to find out what it is. The other day I had that issue and when I left only WPML plugin active, I was able to perform an action which triggered the 500 error. However, that client had multiple security plugins such as WordFence, Sucury and some others, so most likely some of these was blocking the request, probably after a certain time interval.

I'm not sure if you're able to test it like this on your site? So leaving only WPML and its addons active. Do you have a staging website where you can test it like this (in case you don't want to try this on the production side, possibly deactivating some of the site features, even for a short while)?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 17, 2019 at 2:03 pm #4231017

marcM-23

This is a live site, so not an option.
Your collegue Riffaz is getting a duplicate of my site in your cloud. You can connect with him and access this instance for testing. Here's the ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wordpress-error-caused-by-wpml-translation-management/

July 17, 2019 at 2:39 pm #4231343

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Ok, I checked that other ticket. I will check it again tomorrow (since Riffaz and I are in different time zones) and will check if admin-ajax error is happening there as well.

I will keep you posted!

May I ask you the following in the meantime?
hidden link

Install Kleo here and that's all? I will see if scanning works there.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 17, 2019 at 2:56 pm #4231469

marcM-23

Ok, I installed the theme in the sandbox and the scanning works fine.

July 18, 2019 at 10:17 am #4237383

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

It also completed successfully on the Cloudways copy (see the image). I have not disabled any plugins, so the site was as is.
hidden link

What about server logs on your site - can you check them yourself or ask hosting support? Because it looks like that it is something related to either server or timeout values that would need to be increased.

Or maybe creating a staging copy (or within subfolder on your host) and try then? Or creating a full site backup and try scanning with other plugins disabled when there is a low traffic on the site? Not sure what else to recommend since we were not able to reproduce it our side.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 18, 2019 at 4:08 pm #4240757

marcM-23

Hi Bruno,

Regarding scanning the theme: I have a staging site with a slightly older version of our site, it's on the same hosting and has the same problem. I would be happy to give you access to it and there you can do anything you want to troubleshoot. How do I send the credentials ?

Regarding the actual issue of the ticket: it's not resolved by scanning the theme. Take a look at the screenshots attached from the Cloudwaysapps replica. It shows how the string "comment" in the kleo domain is already in and translated (green square), then it registers again when used, the translation loads, but the checkbox for translation isn't ticked (red square) to it remains "untranslated".

Best,
Marc

July 19, 2019 at 7:03 am #4244373

marcM-23

Please mark your previous message as private. And allow me to send a private message with login informations.

July 19, 2019 at 7:20 am #4244457

marcM-23

Regardind the issue and your questions, I feel I already answered it all in yesterday's post. You might have to look for yourself to get it.

[Regarding the actual issue of the ticket: it's not resolved by scanning the theme. Take a look at the screenshots attached from the Cloudwaysapps replica. It shows how the string "comment" in the kleo domain is already in and translated (green square), then it registers again when used, the translation loads, but the checkbox for translation isn't ticked (red square) to it remains "untranslated".]

And no, because that checkbox is not ticked on the second entry, the translation is not visible from the front end, which is what this issue is all about: I lost the theme translations (standard) + my custom translations in String Translator.

As for disabling to register new strings, I just tried that with the "comment" example on my live site: I deleted the new incomplete translation and left the old one (complet), disabled registration for "kleo" and it still doesn't show as translated on the front-end.

Somehow it's like the old "kleo" domain does not get recognised as "kleo" by WMPL, this is why it registers the string again and doesn't show it as translated. It's almost like it shows as the domain "kleo", but still considered "kleo_framework" (the old domain) by WPML.

Best,
Marc

July 19, 2019 at 7:21 am #4244459

marcM-23

Thanks for marking the old one private. I still can't send you a private message with credentials. How do I do that ?

The topic ‘[Closed] Lost kleo theme translations after domain change’ is closed to new replies.