This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Pieter 9 years, 4 months ago.

Author Posts
June 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm #18210

Pieter

WPML 1.7.8 WP 2.9.2
URL sandbox site: hidden link
Using a theme based upon Themeshapers tutorial at hidden link
Hi, it has been a while since I made a site with WPML, but I don't remember it was so difficult.
One thing to say upfront is that I think it would be a good idea to have 1 updated starter's guide on how to use WPML with themes that are already prepared for internationalization. And then another updated guide on how to use WPML with themes that are not yet prepared for internationalization.
For example, on some of your doc pages (http://wpml.org/documentation/support/creating-multilingual-wordpress-themes/) I read to use the link:

<?php echo wpml_get_home_url() ?>

, but as it turns out, that doesn't work at all! Instead, the correct line should be

<?php echo icl_get_home_url() ?>

Well that is just an idea. My problems however are quite a few:
- I have chosen to do the translations online within the plugin, however many strings (yup, all are wrapped in the correct calls) do not show up.
- some of the strings that do show up I have translated and in the top page navigation I can see the translated word, but in the sidebar navigation the English word remains. I am referring to the word Products that only switches to Productos in the top, not in the sidebar.
- trying to "Export strings into .po/.pot file" via the String translation page, results in a screen that goes on forever with errors: hidden link (=screen shot)
- For the home page I use a home template (home.php), however the Spanish site doesn't pick that up. I have searched on your forum to find any useful information, but I can only find threads on how to change the home url...
- I will need to wrap a lot of stuff in icl_object_id(); calls, but I still haven't found some clear examples on how to go ahead with that.
I think multi-lingual websites are a must for everyone in the coming years, so it would be nice if making websites multi-lingual with WPML would be a nice learning curve for everyone who is willing to dive into it! I find it a pity that updated and useful (read: understandable for people without an IT degree) information with examples is so hard to come by.
Thanks

June 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm #18212

Amir

We'll look into this. Are all these new issues with version 1.7.8 or did you have them before too?

June 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm #18213

Pieter

Hi Amir,
All these issues are not new, I had them with the previous version too.
In the meantime I have made my own mo file and uploaded that, to see how that would work and that shows the translation for Products both in the top nav as in the sidebar.
To be honest, I have always worked with my own mo files, but as your plugin has seen so many updates over the months, I thought I'd give it a shot with translating via the dashboard. I guess that was not a good decision...
All other issues listed in my original post, remain unchanged.
Thanks

June 2, 2010 at 9:48 am #18214

Pieter

Hi Amir,
To give you a little update on my issues.
I upgraded to 1.7.8.1 that came out this morning, but the issues still existed, so I switched back to 1.7.7
Now things seem to work a lot better than before, so for the time being I will certainly stay on 1.7.7 (and probably also on WP 2.9.2)
There is a weird thing going on with my top page navigation though: it does not want to include the last added page. Now of course I can easily make a bogus page, because it will never show up then and all the rest will, but it is still a bug.
So now the only issue from the original list that remains is:
* Where can I find clear examples on how to write stuff in icl_object_id(); calls?

June 2, 2010 at 10:14 am #18215

surfingtonio

Hi senlin09,
This article explains about icl_object_id() and provides some usage examples:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/creating-multilingual-wordpress-themes/language-dependent-ids/

June 2, 2010 at 10:18 am #18216

Pieter

thatnks surfingtonio, I'll will give it a go with help of that article!

June 2, 2010 at 10:42 am #18217

Pieter

ok, well I understand how it works, but I cannot figure out a way to implement into complex code.
For this project (hidden link) I made a slider gallery on the home page and it uses the following code:
<pre>

<?php
			        $Carousel = new WP_Query();
			        $Carousel->query(array(
					'post_type'		=> 'page',
					'posts_per_page' => -1,
					'orderby'		=> 'menu_order',
					'order'    		=> 'ASC',
					'post_parent'	=> array(51,53,54,55,56,57),
					));
			        while ($Carousel->have_posts()) : $Carousel->the_post();
			    ?>

</pre>
Now how would I be able to wiggle in this line:
icl_object_id(2, 'page', false) (2 being the ID of the main English Products Page)

The topic ‘[Closed] lots of issues with WPML’ is closed to new replies.