Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: User was not being able to translate his menu properly, Even if pages were translated. Solution: Menu has custom links that needs to be translated manually. User was missing ?lang=sv in the cutom links

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by svenA-8 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
January 22, 2019 at 5:02 pm #3117483

svenA-8

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Have translated all pages and ticked in "Translation completed" box (100%) but when manually creating translation of the menu in the other language all subpages does not show up. Thereby when shifting to the other translated language I am not getting same menu structure or navigation options? Do I need manually to recreate submenus etc?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

January 22, 2019 at 5:18 pm #3117559

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi and welcome back to WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

So, if you are using the "Synchronize" functionality, that will run only once, when you click it, and it will practically duplicate the default-language menu into the language you are syncing it to.

If you decide to use the "clicking +Language" option, you will manually translate all the menu from scratch, so that means the dropdown menus won't be there and you would have to recreate it.

I will also attach a screenshot, maybe it will help. 🙂

Please let me know if you were able to create the menu or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your answer.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

January 22, 2019 at 5:51 pm #3117748

svenA-8

Thanks Mihai

1) I do not see any language option/menu on top as per your screenshot. See though option on right hand side (see my screenshop attached)
2) One page example "Home" has in original language as "Original" "About Us" but in Swedish version "Hem" then "Original" is "Hem" and not "About Us" (Om Oss). How do I alter this ?
3) How am i to proceed when recreating the subpages so URLs, navigation labels, and anchor links etc are replicated as for main lanugage?

January 23, 2019 at 9:11 am #3119546

svenA-8

Sorry but am missing a response on my reply on manually reconstruct main menu in another language.

January 23, 2019 at 6:27 pm #3122074

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi.

1. You don't see the "+language" option because you have only one single menu that is in English and that has already been translated (I can see that by looking that you have the pencil edit icon next to it). As you can see in my older screenshot, I also had one existing translated menu that was in Romanian, is the last one in that screenshot, the one that I did not pointed any arrow to it.

2. I am attaching some screenshots for the steps that you need to take.

3. Everything should duplicate when you use menu sync. If you wish to translate the menu manually, just delete the current menu in English and click "+English" after that and recreate everything from scratch. When you are syncing menu items (for example a page) that already have translations in multiple languages, when the menu is synced, the new items in the translated menu will automatically take the right link of the translated language (for example if you have a page called "Contact" that's already translated in English and the link is domainname.com/contact, when you sync the menu, it will automatically find the translation for that button and it will create the link to be domainname.com/contact?lang=en or domainname.com/en/contact - depending on the WPML settings you have set).

If you will be unable to create the menu translation, feel free to send me some screenshots with more explanations of the exact menu that you want to translate and I can do that in your place if you are not able, I just might need to delete the current menu you created so I will need your approval for that.

In case you can't do it and you want me to do it and you agree to have me even delete your current menu if needed, please leave the site credentials in the private fields I am enabling below.

Also, in order to be able to help you faster, can you also please paste your WPML Debug information in the Debug information field?
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

January 24, 2019 at 3:39 pm #3125921

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Mihai is not working today, i hope i will be able to help.
The submenu actually point to parts of the page and not to a translated page that WPML knows. They need to be updated manually.

As far as i can tell the submenus are custom links and were missing "?lang=sv" this part will instruct WPML to go to swedish website instead of english.

I have updated the submenus of "Integrated service" by adding "?lang=sv the "#". See attached image. And it seems to give the desired behaviour.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

January 24, 2019 at 3:49 pm #3125959

svenA-8

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!