This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.08 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Main Product Description not showing up in translated products

Solution: This is because the user was using Divi builder for the products in the past and Translation Editor hides the editor contents in favor of page builder strings.

Please go to WPML > packages and delete the package of that product: https://take.ms/sni8FO Then update the product. That fixed the issue.

Please note that it will delete the Divi translated strings permanently. So do this only when moving from Divi to native editor permanently not for testing.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lian Amber 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
May 16, 2019 at 3:46 am

Lian Amber

I am trying to: Translate WooCommerce Product page, including the main product description.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: In the translation editor for the product, the main product description showing available for translation.

Instead, I got: It just isn't there. Totally missing, so no option to add the translation. I can of course duplicate it from the backend on the Spanish side manually, but this screws up the translation sync if i need to modify the content. So I do know it works, because manually adding it on the Spanish side shows up fine on the front end, but then as soon as i go back in the proper way to update anything using the editor for the product, the translation disappears.

I have had no issue with this on products before, but i did just start using a lot of ACF fields, in case that matters. I did manage to get them working fine with WPML otherwise... This is my last hurdle before i can convert my site over to a new system with ACF, and the main description is not showing up for translation.

Please advise,
Glen Allan
IS Coordinator
BASSBOSS

May 16, 2019 at 3:54 am #3821635

Lian Amber

I was not able to create a Duplicator package due to some server size constraints. If it becomes absolutely necessary to get it made i can try to see what i can do. Otherwise please check things out with the access you have and let me know!

Thanks,
Glen Allan

May 16, 2019 at 6:07 am #3822131

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Where does this product description come from?
From WooCommerce? from ACF? From some where else?

Let me know.

Regards,
Riffaz.

May 16, 2019 at 6:21 am #3822219

Lian Amber

Hi Riffaz,

Sorry if it wasn't clear... It is the primary product description area from WooCommerce, not from ACF. All of the ACF fields are coming through fine.

Thanks!
Glen Allan

May 16, 2019 at 7:02 am #3822325

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

may i kindly ask you to please :

1. Go under “WPML -> Theme and plugins localization”
2. Make sure that “Translate by WPML.” is active
3. Scroll down to “Strings in the plugins”, select the plugin you want to scan (WC) and click on “Scan the selected plugins for strings”
4. Once you followed the above steps go under “WPML -> String Translation”. All strings available for translation should display in the table you see there.

Do you see them? If yes, all you need to do is click on “translations” next to each string you want to translate.

Please do let me know if this worked for you

Regards,

May 16, 2019 at 5:47 pm #3828517

Lian Amber

Are you answering to a different ticket? I'm not clear what this has to do with my problem.

I'm just looking to edit WooCommerce products like i normally would. To note, the main product description area is available for translation on other products, just not the ones that also have ACF fields connected to them. Turning off the ACF plugins does not fix this issue however, so i don't know that it is the reason why.

I'm not trying to translate strings, I need to know why the primary product description field is not showing up in the translation editor on these products. I've tested on a couple of products that are using this system, and this specific problem is what is happening on all i've tested. It happens whether i delete the translation and duplicate the page and retranslate or just create it from scratch. The main product description is just missing for some reason.

And again, if i add the translation manually in the normal backend editor, it does work. but this is obviously not a good solution because if i then go back into the translation editor to update anything, the main description translation gets wiped out.

Something i should note that i have noticed is different. Products do not use the function to hide completed translations properly, and there are no check boxes next to each field. This was happening before we added ACF, so if this indicates a different issue that might be part of the problem i figured i'd mention it.

Next steps?

Thanks,
Glen Allan
IS Coordinator
BASSBOSS

May 16, 2019 at 6:30 pm #3828931

Lian Amber

Wait, did you guys change how products are translated? I am able to see the field if i search for it in the String Translation area. And it shows as translated. So is there a new system for translation that doesn't use the standard translation editor?

Sorry, this is a bit confusing. I can adapt, but i need to know how to convert it if it is different. Also, why does it still show up normally in the other products if this is the case?

thanks,
Glen

May 16, 2019 at 7:01 pm #3829075

Lian Amber

The field in question is called: "Content / Description". it shows up in other products in the translation editor without issue. As a test, i activated the same field group for that type of product as well to see if it was a conflict with ACF that was causing the problem, but it isn't. It still shows up 3rd, after Title and Slug. So this might rule out ACF as the issue.

So why does "Content / Description" not show up on these other products in the translation editor? That is what i need to figure out.

~

In case it matters, for these products we were previously using a plugin to take them over using a Divi layout on the product page, whereas we never had that on the products where it does currently work properly in the translation editor. I recently removed the Divi builder from these products, and as it should, the field repopulated with the proper text in the main product description area in WooCommerce. However, this field did not reassign itself as the "Content / Description" field in the translation editor. So by looking at a product i haven't removed the Divi builder from, i see that the field in the translation editor is called "et_pb_text: content", which a lot of fields are called. Is it possible something in WPML did not reregister this field to the "Content / Description" label, even though WooCommerce did properly put it back into its main description area? Is there a way to get WPML to rescan this to see that it has been reverted to a standard product without Divi taking over its content?

I'm just trying to identify anything that is off so as to narrow down possibilities. I hope any of this might help us understand what the problem is.

Let me know,
Glen Allan
IS Coordinator
BASSBOSS

May 17, 2019 at 5:28 pm #3836249

Lian Amber

Any updates to possible solutions before the weekend? I'm still doing searches for solutions, but nothing has helped yet.

I did also try what you said ad checked out the strings. Nothing appears off. Also, as it does work on other products i'd think it's not a simple solution like that.

Please advise!

Thanks,
Glen Allan
IS Coordinator
BASSBOSS

May 17, 2019 at 7:41 pm #3836713

Lian Amber

If it helps, here is what a product that works looks like, and where the "Content / Description" area is completely missing in the translation area. The pic showing the ZV28 is where the "Content / Description" area is not there, and where i need to get it back to complete the translation properly and within the translation editor.

May 18, 2019 at 12:57 am #3837393

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

You are asking about this default WooCommerce product short description right? hidden link
These are default post excerpt in WordPress.

You can translate this in here : hidden link when you translate the product.

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Ps:
If you reply to your own ticket before we respond to you, your ticket will go to the end of the queue.
We reply in queue order.

Regards,

May 18, 2019 at 1:14 am #3837397

Lian Amber

No, the short description (excerpt) is translating just fine. It is the main (primary) description area that isn't showing up in the translation editor (See images i posted above).

I need the main description to show up in the translation editor. I use the excerpt for something else unrelated (previews in other areas of the site). The main description is used at the top of the product page and has more detail. The short description is just an excerpt section used elsewhere.

I need to know why the main product description area is missing in the translation editor for these products, where it is not missing in other products. We use this as the main info at the top of the page and it has never simply not existed before in WPML when not using Divi. Again see images above, and see attached images showing the difference.

Where is it in the editor? it shows up fine on the second language in the back end, just not in the translation editor and we need to be able to translate this section normally.

[Thanks for the tip on the queue!]

May 20, 2019 at 6:30 am #3843957

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

I created a test product and added the description: hidden link
Tried to translate and I am able to translate the description as expected : hidden link

So this means some / one of the elements or plugin you are using makes this conflict in your other products.
I do not use any extra plugin or element in the test product I created.

Plugin conflict
Could you please disable all the plugins and check this?
Then enable one by one and check which one is causing this.

fields
Add the fields you are normally using.
Add them one by one check which one causes this.

Let me know.

Regards,

May 20, 2019 at 10:44 pm #3850535

Lian Amber

Alright... I've disabled everything except the WPML and WooCommerce plugins. That field still does not show up in the translation editor. I've also run all of the WPML troubleshooting routines again just to be sure, and no good. I also turned off and back on all WPML plugins to reset them, and still not working.

I'd figured this wasn't the cause, as the fields do still show up properly in other products. Meaning, know it is working on some, but not clear why not on these. Something else odd is happening here. I'm pretty used to the normal troubleshooting routines, so figured it wasn't a simple plugin conflict. My guess is this will have to be looked into differently.

Also, to test if the problem was the extra fields, i had already added a custom field group to a product that works, and it did not cause that field to go missing. So it doesn't seem to be a conflict with ACF. I've also tested by completely deleting the translation for the product and adding it back fresh, also didn't fix it.

I wish it was just a simple conflict! But i could probably have already figured out what was wrong then.

Let me know next steps! Thanks,
Glen Allan
IS Coordinator
BASSBOSS

May 21, 2019 at 8:11 am