This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
July 9, 2019 at 1:19 pm #4171169

borisB-20

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am trying to make it so that my website appears in google searches in languages that correspond to the Users' geolocation.

When you go on the website, it automatically sends you to the link in the respective language, yes but what interests me is the SEO result itself..

hidden link

July 9, 2019 at 1:46 pm #4171353

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

From your WPML debug information, I see that you are using the browser redirection and it may be affecting how Google indexes your pages:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/how-browser-language-redirect-affects-google-indexing/

If you go to WPML > Languages > Browser language redirect and you deactivate this option, then you crawl your site in Google Webmaster, does this situation changes?
I mean you will see the English result if your browser language is English and the result according to your second language result as well based on your browser language.

Please, keep in mind that this process may take a while. A week may be.

Best regards,
Riffaz.

July 9, 2019 at 1:54 pm #4171419

borisB-20

Well, the problem is that the main language of the website is Italian. The redirection based on browser language is actually useful as our main audience uses Italian.

My browser now for example is in Italian and when I go on google I see as a primary result the English version and when I go on the website, it changes to the Italian one.

If I change this option does this mean that anyone visiting the website will be using the website's default language (English)?

July 10, 2019 at 5:06 am #4176165

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

If I change this option does this mean that anyone visiting the website will be using the website's default language (English)?
- yes.
- but if you disbale it google will automatically detect the default language and second language, then google will crawl it as per the language settings.

This issue also happens https://wpml.org/forums/topic/multilingual-site-google-search-result-to-show-in-own-language/ because of the browser redirect option.

Second tier says:
It is upto Google what Google shows in search results.
Browser redirect could create problem in indexing but it is already indexed.

So it's up to your google webmaster results for now.
I do not think there is anything you can do in WPML settings regarding this.

Hope, that explains.

Regards,

The topic ‘[Closed] Make Google Show Results Based on User's Language’ is closed to new replies.