This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Now to make it possible for Editors to translate pages in WP native editor. When the translation is sent through translation management

Solution: There is no direct method but the workaround -> Edit the original and then switch language using the language selector placed in the top of the page.

Help video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-jAzo4Tv2j1TKnJ-0ZwTiLzpg8W7Tw2/view

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by emmanuelS-7 10 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
December 10, 2018 at 9:22 am #2983210

alexK-3

Is there a simple explanation of how to make it possible for Editors to translate pages the way Administrators do? Just by clicking the + under the flag of the listed pages. (and without using the WPML Standard Translation Editor)

The translation management is way to complicated!

Please advice.

Kind regards,
Dirk

December 11, 2018 at 10:12 am #2987975

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi there,

If you are using translation management to translate the contents it is not directly possible to use the default WordPress editor for translations by clicking the + under the flag of the listed pages.

However, there is a workaround you might need to do this on each post edit,
You can just edit the original and then switch language using the language selector placed in the top of the page.
You might need to confirm that you really want to use the manual translation for this content.

To help you better, I have created a quick video
hidden link

PS: Only the user with editor/administrator role can use this workaround.

Please write back if you need further help,
Thank you.

December 11, 2018 at 1:01 pm #2988730

alexK-3

Hi,

Thank you for your video. One further question: do I always need the Translation Management plugin if I want to give 'Editors' the possibility to do translations the way you demonstrated in the video? If they login now, they don't even see the different flags only the one of the default language.

As I said, to set this up is way to complicated since within our company we always do the translations ourselves!

Thanks in advance!

Regards

December 12, 2018 at 4:19 am #2991629

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

The workaround is only applicable when you have Translation management plugin active and when WPML "Translation Editor" is selected for translation under "WPML > Settings > How to translate posts and pages".

Translation management is useful to keep track of contents that need to be translated. also helpful to identify incomplete translation and assign translations to any of the users.

If you feel translation management is a bit complex, then you can disable translation management, and manage the translations manually. The users with "Editor" role will be able to translate the pages as the Administrator does. Please, Remember you need to disabled translation editor from your WPML > Settings as mentioned above if you don't wish to use Translation management.

Please let me know you need further help, I will be happy to help you.

Best Regards,
Raja

December 17, 2018 at 8:04 am #3006994

alexK-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

July 23, 2019 at 3:52 pm #4267725

emmanuelS-7

Hello,

I have a similar problem:

• Using Translation Management on the site
• The users who translate have an Editor customized role
• They have WPML permissions as Translators and Traduction Managers (WPML > Translation Management > Translation Role (tab)

I want these users to be able to access existing translated pages and apply their modifications in the WPML Translation Editor, just like i do as an administrator.

Currently, in frontend, they click "Edit page", this opens the edit page in admin and a WPML popup with a button "Open in Translation Editor".
They click this button, then are redirected to the Translation page (empty list) instead of the Translation Editor.
This doesn't make sense, plus they cannot edit the translated page… unless i put the pages in the basket for translation i guess… but they are the one who check the pages and apply modifications… should i send ALL pages to the translation basket before they begin to work?

I didn't understood how to disable the Translation Management as mentionned above.
I don't know if there are risks to disable it at this point.

Maybe i could add capabilities to their role as it's a custom Editor role, set with the Members plugin?
Which capabilities would allow them to access directly the Translation Editor like an administrator (see screenshot)?

I agree with @alexk-3, very complicated for my workflow.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Emmanuel Soyer