This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by garyS-18 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
September 5, 2019 at 3:00 pm #4520307

garyS-18

I am trying to: Link to the French language version of our News & Events page

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Clicking on the French flag icon does not successfully take me to the French version. When I try following the instructions on the how-to page (https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-link-already-translated-pages/) it works as it should until step 5.

Instead, I got: The dialog does not appear.

However, it does on our staging site which is running the same version of WPML

I should observe that our live site is still running WordPress 4.9.11 and our staging site is running WordPress 5.2.2 as we are still confirming the compatibility of WordPress 5.2.2 with all our plugins and modifications (none of which relate to WPML).

Thank you for your assistance.

September 5, 2019 at 6:02 pm #4521327

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. It most likely happens due a plugin conflict or even a conflict with your existing WordPress version, do you see any error message in your browser console? Also, it could be of help to take a detailed look at this issue right in your WordPress Dashboard, for that, please consider:

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

September 6, 2019 at 7:15 pm #4527169

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the provided details. I took a detailed look in your WordPress Dashboard and noticed the 'News & Events' page doesn't have a french translation assigned, you can either assign a translation for it or making an existing page a translation of this page (and it seems it is what you want to achieve). Can you please, let me know which page you need to link to the 'News & Events' page? I don't see any existing page related to it both in your english and french list of pages. Please, let me know and I will proceed with a more accurate and detailed reply. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

September 9, 2019 at 10:55 am #4536057

garyS-18

Yes, I am trying to assign the French language page "Actualités" as the French version of that page. I went through the series of steps that the WPML guide recommends, but as I said in my original post, at Step 5 the necessary dialog does not appear for me to complete the process.

September 10, 2019 at 12:57 am #4540677

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I just performed the same steps provided by the mentioned instructions and could connect your page 'Actualités' as the translation of 'News & Events', you can see the results at:

English: hidden link
French: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional assistance and clarifications, have a nice day.

September 10, 2019 at 8:33 am #4543025

garyS-18

Thank you. Can you tell me what you did that was different to the steps in the online guide, in case I experience similar problems in future?

September 10, 2019 at 4:10 pm #4547267

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. The only thing I did that's not in the instructions was to hit the update button of the translated page two times before linking the translation to the default language page. Please, let me know if it helps or if you need any additional instructions and clarifications, have a nice day.

September 11, 2019 at 8:08 am #4551263

garyS-18

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!