This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.58 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Rohan Sadanandan 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Rohan Sadanandan.

Author Posts
July 30, 2019 at 3:01 pm #4308899

kevinB-5

Hi,

WPML and Advanced Custom Fields seem to work great together. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to make a part of the options page language independent.

A use case:
I've got some options to configure links to the social media accounts for a website. These links are the same for all languages, but still need to be configured per language. If a link changes, we need to change it for every language.

So it'd be best if the fields of the main language would be used. Just like when a specific page/post hasn't been translated and the primary language is used as a fallback.

Is it possible to use the configured fields for the main language of specific options?

July 30, 2019 at 4:09 pm #4309581

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

You are using an outdated version of WPML. Currently, the latest version is 4.2.7.1
Could you please update WPML & install the required addons?
https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Also, you are using Advanced Custom Fields PRO without installing
Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual.

Could you please install the same?

Once it is installed, you can navigate to "Translation Preferences" & set it to "copy" so that when a post is translated it will copy the custom fields also.

You can read more about this here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#setting-the-translation-preference-for-simple-fields

Also, the WP Memory limit of your site is set to 40MB.
At least 128 MB is required for WPML. Could you please update the same?
You can read the minimum requirements here: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rohan

August 2, 2019 at 7:36 am #4327727

kevinB-5

Hi Rohan,

Thanks for your message.
I'm currently running version 4.2.7.1 of WPML, I don't know if I had any updates available because I have been trying various things after posting the ticket.

However, I still don't really get this working the way I want. Maybe the problem is that it's working as intended by WPML, but I just don't get it.

Imagine the following:
I have a custom field, for configuring a background image on the home page. I want this image to be the same for every language, so it should just be configured for the primary language and it's setting should be used for all other languages. Also when the field is updated in the main language.

What translation setting do I configure for this specific field? Whatever setting I seem to use, the field gets copied to other languages while I'd expect it not to show up.

August 2, 2019 at 3:02 pm #4330973

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

From what I understand, you have a custom image field & when you translate the page, you need to copy the image only once. For this, you can use the "copy once" option in ACF Translation preferences.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#setting-the-translation-preference-for-simple-fields

Please check the details of Translation preferences from the above documentation:

You can set the translation preference for each field that you create in the Field Group from the Translation preferences section. There are four translation preferences for custom fields translation

Don’t translate: The field is ignored and no translation is performed or available for it.

Copy: The value of the field is copied from the one in the original language.

Copy once: The value of the custom field is copied to the secondary language in the initial translation process.
The custom fields that use the copy-once action will not appear on the Translation Editor screen. However, the user can change the custom field value of the secondary language to be different from the default language using the post editing screen.

Translate: Allows you to translate the field values.

Please let me know whether this works for you.

Thanks,
Rohan

August 9, 2019 at 12:50 pm #4370361

kevinB-5

Hi Rohan,

By using 'copy once', the field won't update if I choose to update the original field in the main language, right? Wouldn't I need 'don't translate' for that purpose?

By the way, how can I receive an e-mail notice when someone has responded in this topic?

August 9, 2019 at 1:43 pm #4370903

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

You can use "copy once" if you want to copy the same content to all languages initially.
If you need to copy the content to all languages on every update to the original field in the main language you can use "copy".

Regarding the mail, when a reply is posted in this forum you will receive an email.
If you have not received mails, please check in the Spam folder also.

Thanks,
Rohan