This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
May 31, 2019 at 10:24 am #3929733

paulB-71

Hi, first time using this plugin and I have a question. The site I'm developing will have a simple portfolio homepage with links to product pages, 30 in all. It needs to be published in 8 languages.

I have only set up 3 products as a test and have started playing with this plugin.

What is the best way to duplicate a portfolio item? When I press the translate + symbol, it takes me to a new page with blank content. Then I copy content from English and it seems to work. What does NOT work though, is the copying of settings, for example 'disable top margin', 'hide top area' etc. Is this normal? How can it be avoided? It will result in the manual editing of 240 pages as opposed to 30.

If I make any design/image changes to the English version, I take it these will not apply to the translated pages?

May 31, 2019 at 2:00 pm #3931075

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

If the portfolio settings are saved in custom fields that you would want to be copied into the translation, you would need to be on at least the middle-column membership plan here: https://wpml.org/purchase/

After that, you could also use the duplication method here (https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/).

From what I can see, the developers of the theme that you are using (TheGem) have some great documentation here regarding how to translate content with WPML:
hidden link

However, it seems that they recommend the WPML Translation Management addon and that indeed comes only with at least the middle-column membership plan.

Regarding this other question ("If I make any design/image changes to the English version, I take it these will not apply to the translated pages?") - it really depends what will be the relationship between the original language page and the translated one. If you let them in sync, they will be in sync but usually, people use the duplication process only after they completely finished the main-language page and then they simply want to duplicate that and edit the content in the secondary language, breaking also the sync connection between the 2 languages so that they won't be in the position of having the translated content being overwritten when the default/original-language content is being updated.

I hope that you will find this information helpful and please get back to us whenever you will need more help with WPML. 🙂

In case you will have more questions regarding this topic or something is unclear, just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week in case you write me tonight or in this weekend.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 3, 2019 at 2:56 pm #4137687

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hello and welcome back!

In order to be able to duplicate pages into other languages or translate plugin-generated content, you would need to upgrade to at least the "Multilingual CMS" membership type (https://wpml.org/purchase/). That's when you will be able to download WPML Translation Management, WPML String Translation and more.

Also, I recommend that you update our plugin to the latest version (hidden link), but first please make sure to create a full backup of the site.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 4, 2019 at 12:44 pm #4143297

paulB-71

OK, I will have to upgrade. I have already bought the blog version for $29 so do I now have to pay an extra $79 or the difference of $50?

July 4, 2019 at 12:52 pm #4143329

paulB-71

ok i have upgraded - let me see if this will translate my menus

July 4, 2019 at 1:21 pm #4143859

paulB-71

how do i duplicate complex menus to let WPML translate them? I can create one, but it does not import all of the menu items....

July 4, 2019 at 1:28 pm #4143875

paulB-71

WPML Update is Incomplete
You are running updated wpml-media-translation, wpml-string-translation and wpml-translation-management, but the following components are not updated:

sitepress-multilingual-cms
Your site will not work as it should in this configuration Please update all components which you are using. For WPML components you can receive updates from your WPML.org account or automatically, after you register WPML.

July 4, 2019 at 1:59 pm #4144149

paulB-71

What exactly IS this plugin for? I have 36 products to translate from English into 6 more languages - I had worked through the first ten of them using duplicate posts and pasting in professional translations from a spreadsheet I had been provided with. Now after upgrading, I can't do a thing. This is a big problem, as this site will be rolling out 3 new products a day. Do I now uninstall the extra plugins and revert to manual? I have backed up before I installed this, so should I revert?

July 4, 2019 at 2:16 pm #4144375

paulB-71

I would like a refund please - that upgrade is unusable. Have reverted to backup and normal $29 version, which works for me

July 4, 2019 at 3:55 pm #4145257

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

From my understanding, what you needed was to duplicate pages.

This is the documentation that would be needed to be followed if you want to duplicate a page:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

Can you please let me know if you tried that method and if you did, can you please let me know what did not work? I would be more than happy to try and do it for you, if you tell me which page you would like to duplicate and into what language you would need me to duplicate that.

Also, regarding the notification that you see, I understand that your plugins are not updated to the latest version, so what you would need to do is:

1. Create a full website backup
2. Go to Plugins > Add new > Commercial > check the boxes of the plugins that are not up to date and select Download and Install.

If that doesn't work, I can update them for you manually to save you time.

If you would still want a refund, I will need you to please contact hello@wpml.org with a request for a refund as here is the Support Forum where we can only offer technical support.

There is a different team that is handling the refunds.

Please let me know if there is any way I can help you to duplicate a specific page.

I will be happy to do it for you.

Kind regards,
Mihai

July 5, 2019 at 10:26 am #4150289

paulB-71

Thanks Mihai, i found the page duplication simple in the $29 plugin as i could still see the page layout - in the upgraded one everything changes so i paniced. One thing i need to address across the site is I have a 36 product WP site in English which I need to search and replace certain words to 6 other languages, but without upsetting the English. A search shows 250 instances of, for example 'Award Winner' but I'd need to know if i can specify something like 'if page=Italian then change 'Award Winner' to 'Vincitore' and so on for the other languages. I have the translations ready in a spreadsheet. Example here...
hidden link

July 5, 2019 at 3:12 pm #4152325

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Yes, when you upgrade to the next WPML subscription, you get a lot of new functionality that you didn't have access to before and this allows you to translate plugins, themes and more. 🙂

So, from what I can see if I log in on the backend site panel again and go to the page that you shared with me, it seems that this is a portfolio item.

From what I can see, you already translated the portfolio items (for example this: hidden link).

Regarding your question, there is no functionality where you could replace a specific word in multiple languages or in another language just from one step. What our plugin does is that it empowers users to manually translate any type of content on their site as long as the theme/plugin they use is compatible with WPML.

When you say that a search returns 200 and something results, I think that you might be referring to WPML > String Translation and that is used for translating strings but for translating pages/posts/portfolio items, you would need to use the manual way of translating things like you did until now.

Can you please let me know if you encounter any type of issues at the moment with the current process of translating the portfolio items?

Also, have you had the chance of using the WPML Duplication functionality that I shared about with you above using WPML Translation Management?

What that would do is that it would allow you to duplicate portfolio items and then you would simply change the wording straight inside the content boxes from the wp bakery builder that you used to build the portfolio page content and layout.

I will be waiting for your response.

Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai

The topic ‘[Closed] Managing changes – duplicating pages’ is closed to new replies.