Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
February 22, 2016 at 6:25 pm #820465

Nina Gonzalez

I am trying to: find a better way to manage widgets. We have over 10 widgets and three languages, so 30 widgets is overwhelming. We are using Widget Logic and Widget Conditions and WPML Widgets and we are looking at Content Aware Sidebar WPML. But the problem with all of these solutions is that they require that you replicate the widget in all necessary languages. I would like to manage the widgets with String Translations. Is there a way to do that? We are using php widgets for most of our Widgets.

URL of (my) website where problem appears:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

February 23, 2016 at 5:40 pm #821467

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Hi Nina, thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

There are a couple different options for translation widgets.

1. If you are using the WordPress default widgets you will be able to translate both the title and content under the "WPML -> String Translation" screen. Note: You can filter by setting the strings within domain dropdown to Widgets in order to find the strings easier.

2. If you are using custom widgets which are coded correctly and use apply_filters on widget_title and widget_text then again you should be able to translate both the title and content under the "WPML ->String Translation" screen. You will first need to go to WPML > Theme and plugin localization and then select the plugins the you want to add to String Translation. If you don't see some of the strings there after you scan, you may want to click "Translate texts in admin screens" at the bottom of your String Translation page and see if you can find the strings there.

Note: If you are coding your own widgets see: Texts in widgets needs to go through 'apply_filters': http://wpml.org/documentation/support/troubleshooting-string-localization/

3. The third option, if the above options don't help, is to use widget logic, which you are already doing.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance. Thank you.
Lauren