This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
June 20, 2019 at 9:51 pm #4063207

susannS

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I use ubermenu. It is quite large and complicated. I wish to use their carbon copy plugin to copy they menu then assign that menu as a translated menu so it will show up properly when someone uses the language changer.
Is there any documentation that you are following? No
Is there a similar example that we can see?
Create Menu A set as primary, Create Menu B try to assign B as a translated Language of A so that it will be change for us. Or any method to force the menu to work with a specific language.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

I want to have a similar menu for /de /es - same layout, images, just needs new url's and translated titles.

June 21, 2019 at 8:55 am #4065583

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

According to this list, UberMenu does not seem to be compatible with WPML:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/

It does not necessarily mean that it is not compatible though, but only that it has not been tested by our compatibility team. However I've checked this:
hidden link

So it seems like that there are some issues in regards to some meta-data that needs to be transferred over. There aren't many forum tickets in our official forum, but can you please have a look at this one:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/ubermenu-compatibility/

It would seem that our compatibility team even created a plugin that should help in synchronization of some of the data stored there:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/ubermenu-compatibility/page/2/#post-2818530

Can you please go over that thread and let me know if this answers any of your questions?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 21, 2019 at 4:54 pm #4068615

susannS

Bruno, Let's try another angle. Is there a way that if I have a primary menu in "ubermenu English". Then create another menu call "ubermenu German", NOT using WPML but just another wordpress menu. Now can I assign that menu "ubermenu German" for German language pages, basically set it as the primary for German? OR is there a way to set this menu as a translation of the English. Either through Sql or through WPML?

June 21, 2019 at 5:32 pm #4068763

susannS

Maybe what I want is a functions script to see what language the page is and then set the primary menu. I have my language menus that were not created with WPML sync or translation so they are not connected and I want to force a specific menu for a language. I am sure you have that code somewhere.

June 24, 2019 at 7:08 am #4074939

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

How about trying this approach then:
- change the dashboard admin language
- create a menu and manually choose the menu for which this new menu is translation of
- don't use WPML menu synchronization function and edit each new menu here - so this manually as you would do with for the original

What do you think, can you try and let me know? Hopefully this will work with Ubermenu (I have not tested it), because that other thread I linked to looks quite complicated and advanced.

Regards,
Bruno Kos