This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Sergio 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ankit.

Author Posts
January 16, 2016 at 11:23 am #789463

Sergio

Hello, today I received two emails from Google titles:
Increase in “404” pages on hidden link
Increase in “404” pages on hidden link

It looks like that in the sitemap there are strange links that are 404.

Here some examples:

<em><u>hidden link</u></em>

Here the two sitemaps:

Can you please help?

January 18, 2016 at 1:51 pm #790177

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

If you disable all non-related WPML plugins, switch to one of default themes and regenerate the sitemap, the problem persists or not?

NOTE:
+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!).

Which settings is enabled in WPML->Language->Language url format?

I will wait for your feedback.

Thanks

January 18, 2016 at 1:56 pm #790188

Sergio

1# Hi, I disabled all the plugins non-wpml related, but these links are still 404 not found.

2#

Different languages in directories ((<em><u>hidden link</u></em> - Polish, <em><u>hidden link</u></em> - English))
  Use directory for default language (unselected)
January 19, 2016 at 3:28 am #790671

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

These info is private, and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

I would also recommend to backup your database and website first before we proceed. You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose.
See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Thanks

January 20, 2016 at 3:43 am #791754

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

You have installed W3 Total Cache plugin, could you please delete your cache and regenerate your sitemaps, does this fix the problem.

In order to debug, i need to duplicate your site to my local server, For this I will need to temporarily install a plugin called "Duplicator" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Is this OK.

Thanks

January 20, 2016 at 8:29 am #791831

Sergio

#1 I never installed the W3 Total Cache plugin in this site. How can I delete such cache?

#2 Yes, you can duplicate the site.

January 20, 2016 at 3:19 pm #792337

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

Go to Settings-> WP Super Cache -> and delete the cache and create the sitemap again.

I have generated sitemap for your site from external source(hidden link) and i was not able to find any 404 links, could you please try to generate sitemaps from other plugins or sources and see if the error occurs, it will help us to find the problem with the sitemap generation by yoast seo (if their is any).

Thanks

January 20, 2016 at 4:16 pm #792412

Sergio

Hi, I deleted the cache several times, I also disabled the sitemap functionality and cleared cache and re-enabled it. still it shows 404 errors....

January 21, 2016 at 2:55 am #792771

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Have you tried generating sitemaps from other source, plugins, sites other than Yoast Seo. I generated the sitemap using this link hidden link and i was not able to find the 404 links as you mentioned in your first thread. Could you please try this?

Thanks

January 21, 2016 at 9:43 am #792950

Sergio

Hi, it is normal that external tools do not find 404, because since they are seen as 404, they are not taken. External tools generate sitemaps only based on links that give 200, not 404.

I've tried to install "Google XML Sitemaps" plugin. But this plugin doesn't generate any sitemap for attachments, so it can't be tested.

I also tried to install "Better WordPress Google XML Sitemaps", but this one doesn't seem to show any posts that are not in the default language. So also this one can't be tested.

I am aware only about Yoast SEO that supports WPML. Do you know any other plugin that I can test that supports multilanguage AND imagesin the sitemap?

January 21, 2016 at 11:01 am #793052

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

You can review our compatibility list here: http://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/

Further, Could you enable debugging in WordPress and test to regenerate the sitemap by creating a new post.
You can enable debugging by changing and adding when needed this code in wp-config.php

// Turn debugging on
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Tell WordPress to log everything to /wp-content/debug.log
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Turn off the display of error messages on your site
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

// For good measure, you can also add the follow code, which will hide errors from being displayed on-screen
@ini_set('display_errors', 0);

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Thanks

January 22, 2016 at 1:05 pm #794267

Sergio

Hi, yes it looks like Yoast WordPress SEO is the only sitemap plugin fully compatible with WPML.

I turned on the debug and create 1 post with 2 translations, and I translated an old one. And I also turned off/on the sitemap functionality and I changed the max pages per sitemap to a smaller number.

Still the sitemap contains 404 links.

If you open a secred filesharing, I will share the debug with you.

January 22, 2016 at 1:50 pm #794332

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

I have enabled the private form for you, let me look at the debug log.

Thanks

January 22, 2016 at 2:01 pm #794345

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

In order to be more help, i have escalated this ticket to 2nd tier supporter one of the 2nd tier supporter will respond to you soon.

Thanks

January 27, 2016 at 11:40 am #797496

Ankit

Hi,

This is Ankit from second tier support team. I will assist you with the issue further, hope this is fine with you. 🙂

I have set up the site snapshot on my local system and found that problem is not relevant to wpml. The links which you are seeing in sitemap actually exists in site, but somehow these links are not working.

Even if I deactivate wpml plugins, these attachment URLs are not working. The edit page of attachments for your given example links are as follows. If you will check by deactivating wpml plugins, it won't work.

Non-working examples:

<em><u>hidden link</u></em> = <em><u>hidden link</u></em>

However, this behavior is only with some attachment URLs, rest of the URLs are working fine. Following are some working examples:

Working

I think you can consult your website developer or may seek help on some open support forums like https://wordpress.org/support/ OR stackoverflow.com

Regards,
Ankit