This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: User was not able to translate ACF fields in Classic Editor. Solution: Set translation modes for the fields in post/page/cpt edit screen, Multilingual Content Setup section, or in WPML->Settings->Custom Fields Translation. Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/ https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Innovationsraum 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
January 30, 2019 at 2:27 pm #3144335

Innovationsraum

Tell us what you are trying to do?
We habe a large website (>100 pages alone) and a large amount of ACF fields, most of them in flexible fields and repeater fields. We need to translate the content from German to English. The translator uses .xliff files for that.

I followed the video turorial below but decided that this would just cost our client a huge amount of money, since we would need to go into every side an click through a complicated list of field names.

We also looked at the list in WPML > Settings > Translate custom fields. But with the system fields enabled it is 200 pages with 20 entries… this is a mess. It is way too complicated to work through the list.

Is there not any way to make the xliff process more comfortbale? More "automatic"?

Is there any documentation that you are following?
hidden link

What is the link to your site?
If you need the URL or admin access, we can send it to you in a private message.

– If you need any more information for helping me with this problem, let me know. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Mona

January 31, 2019 at 10:06 am #3147128

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello Mona,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. My apologies for the late reply.

I am not really sure if i understood your question well, but i will start by sharing this article.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-desktop-cat-tools/

The translation jobs exported as XLIFF files are by page/post/cpt. Each page will have its custom fields attached for translation, the translatable ones of course.

Can you elaborate a little more on your question so I can better understand? Sometimes screenshots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

January 31, 2019 at 3:03 pm #3148442

Innovationsraum

Hello Jamal,

I already know the documentation article. As you suggested, I have attached two Screenshots to show the problem more clearly.

Screenshot 1 shows the custom fields we have on a page. As you can see, there are a few and you can imagine, opening more than 100 pages individually and carefully select the right translate option for a field is quite a hassle. But this would be the suggested way from the Youtube tutorial I've followed, which I linked to here in the earlier post.

Screenshot 2 shows a part of the custom fields list if we go to WPML > Settings > Translate custom fields. As you can see, it's A LOT of fields. And selecting the right field option for translating in this huge list is just nearly impossible!

I hope you understand my problem more clearly.

What I expected from the WPML plugin in fact is this:
I thought step one would be to translate the ACF fields via the translation feature when you edit field groups in the ACF fields plugin. Step 2 would just be using the translation management and to select the pages I want to sent to translate. But alas, that doesn't seem to do it 🙁

Kind regards,
Mona

January 31, 2019 at 4:42 pm #3148878

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello Mona,

Thank you for your feedback, if i understand your request, you want to see all the strings used in the ACF fields in the Translation Editor ?
To do so you will need to make these custom fields translatable ("Copy once" or "Translate") in the page/post edit screen. In the "Multilingual Content Setup" at the bottom of the page.
From screenshot-2.png i can see a "repeater/flexible" field called "content". Once you set this field to "Copy once" or "Translate" it will be applied to all its child fields.
See the notice in yellow in this article
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

You may need to make a little update to a child field and save in the default language to push these fields to translation. They will be available in the Translation Editor.

Finally, according to the debug informations it seems that you are using manual translation, to use the Classic or Advanced translation editor, please configure it in WPML->Settings.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any doubts.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

February 4, 2019 at 6:57 am #3156430

Innovationsraum

Hi Jamal,

I just wanted to let you know, that I tried the new plugin version and first tests seem to do what the documentation says: selecting the "parent" field and copies the selection to the "child" fields. As there seems to be no other choice for us to click all these options, I marked the thread as resolved.

Still, I find this to be very impractical. It means a lot of manual work if you have a large website with many ACF fields, especially flexible or repeater fields. I hope there will be a more streamlined approach in the future.

Kind regards,
Mona