Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
December 9, 2019 at 7:34 pm #5095705

Daniel

I am trying to:

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see: Read More or Leave a comment in the French language.

Instead, I got:the English version

December 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm #5107437

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I kindly ask you to visit this link and apply the steps described in the errata: https://wpml.org/errata/in-some-cases-some-strings-are-not-translating-properly/

Could you tell me if the issue persists?

Kind regards,
Carlos

December 14, 2019 at 10:28 am #5128871

Daniel

Hi Carlos,

I tried the steps described and this did not fix the issue.

I have the same problem as “Jacques-16”, the only way I can get the translations to appear is to enable the Look for strings while pages are rendered option. But as soon as I disable this option, the translations no longer appear.
I also tried to rescan my theme “Generatepress” with no luck.

Regards,
Daniel

December 14, 2019 at 11:47 am #5129279

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi Daniel,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I kindly ask you to go to Plugins -> Add New -> Commercial tab and update WPML plugins to the latest version (v4.3.6).

Once the WPML plugins are up-to-date I would like to ask you to go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting link and apply the option to re-create the .mo files.

Could you tell me if the issue persists?

Regards,
Carlos

December 14, 2019 at 1:20 pm #5129573

Daniel

Hi,

I just updated and regenerated .mo files and the problem still persists.

Regards,
Daniel

December 16, 2019 at 9:30 am #5137035

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for your message.

In this case I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos

December 16, 2019 at 12:17 pm #5138109

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi Daniel,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

In this ticket you will find a solution for the same issue: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-appear-before-disappearing-on-the-frontend-since-wpml-update/#post-4864885

Please apply the workaround described in the link and let me know if the issue disappeared.

Regards,
Carlos

Note: Don't forget to make a full backup of the site.

December 16, 2019 at 2:36 pm #5139051

Daniel

Hi Carlos,

I understand that the proposed solution is to delete some old .mo entries from the icl_mo_files_domains table.

1- How do I identify which entries I should delete?
2- How should I delete these entries? Directly deleting the records in the table?

I included a snapshot of the entries so you can tell me what records need to be deleted.

December 16, 2019 at 5:36 pm #5140471

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi Daniel,

1.- To identify the .mo files you need to compare the names of the .mo files with the domain of the string in String Translation.

2.- Yes, just select the entry and delete it.

Please don't forget to create a backup of the database before making this changes.

Regards,
Carlos

December 16, 2019 at 7:48 pm #5140859

Daniel

***Resolved***

The problem had nothing to do with the .mo files.

The problem was with the locale code. In WPML >> Languages >>Edit languages the default locale field for the French language showed fr_FR but in the database in icl-locale_map the locale was only fr. It was missing the _FR for some reason. I just modified the flag and saved and the problem was fixed!!!

December 17, 2019 at 10:38 am #5145831

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi Daniel,

I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos