Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by philipC-9 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
January 19, 2021 at 6:15 pm

philipC-9

Media titles and alt text are included in translations and I don't want them to appear. WPML Media Translation plug-in is deactivated. Media (attached) is set to Non-translatable.

I don't want any images translated into other languages. I just want them to appear untranslated.

January 19, 2021 at 6:58 pm
January 21, 2021 at 8:53 am #7894373

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

sorry for waiting, we have a higher queue these days.

I have tried to login and check your issue, but it seems provided website URL and credentials are not correct anymore.

If you still have an issue can you please go to the next clean test website and try to reproduce it:

- Go to hidden link
- Configure WPML plugins as on your website
- Reproduce the issue with some simple dummy content

Please let me know.

Thanks and regards.
Drazen

January 21, 2021 at 2:33 pm #7897789

philipC-9

Drazen,
The credentials on the site have not been changed. Please try again:
1. Use the credentials entered in the FTP site portion to log into the Allego login screen (you will see this first).
2. Then use the WordPress login credentials provided.

I really would like you to debug the problem on our site. It is not time-efficient for us to install all the plug-ins and themes and try to configure the hundreds of settings in a new environment.

Thank you!

January 22, 2021 at 8:42 am #7904145

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back.

Maybe I haven't explained correctly, you do not have to replicate your website, only the same issue. Adding your text with an image to Gutenberg's classic block on the shared test site would be enough to replicate the issue.

Nevertheless, I have tried and reproduced it on a clean sandbox site also. I can see the image title/alt text is not showing for translation when using CTE editor, but only ATE.

I have tried few workarounds, but without success, I have now shared this ticket with our 2nd tier support to check and advise.

I will update you soon on their reply.

Thanks and kind regards,
Drazen

January 22, 2021 at 2:25 pm #7907451

philipC-9

Drazen,
Thank you for reproducing the issue. The use of the Classic vs. Advanced Translation Editor is moot in our case. No translations are done within WPML. We are exporting articles using XLIFF 1.2 and importing/translating in CrowdIn and the reimporting the translations. I need the XLIFF export to NOT include the media strings.

It looks like the media strings are included in the XLIFF export, regardless of which translation editor is configured. I look forward to resolution of this issue or a viable work-around. Thank you!

January 22, 2021 at 2:32 pm #7907461

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for your patience.

Our 2nd tier support checked on this issue and got back to me.

It seems this is not possible at this moment and would require a custom code solution. You can try removing the image attributes before sending the page to translation, so they are not included.

Since we cannot support or produce custom code solutions for you, when you need custom coding which extends WPML functionality, we recommend using our WPML certified contractors system.

- https://wpml.org/contractors/

If you think this is a crucial feature in WPML and it should be added, I recommend you to suggest a new feature via our form:

- https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

I am sorry I wasn't much of help here, hopefully, you will understand.

Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Drazen

January 22, 2021 at 4:34 pm #7908255

philipC-9

Drazen,
Thank you for your reply. However, this is a BUG, not a feature request! Media translation is totally disabled, yet when I send out an article for translation, when it comes back, it's creating a new media object in the library for every translated language. Today, this is 3, but in a few months, it will be 10 additional languages. I don't want my media library to increase by a factor of 10 and I don't want to pay for translating media strings.

Please assist in a more satisfactory solution. Thank you!

January 25, 2021 at 9:23 am #7919027

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

I understand your side here completely, but not sure there is much we can do here.

Let me check again with our 2nd tier if any suggestion we can make here.

I will update you soon.

Thanks,
Drazen

January 26, 2021 at 6:47 am #7927687

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

I got an update from our 2nd tier.

As far as we can see the block “core/list” actually wraps everything in an unordered or ordered list. So I can guess that the image is not a separate element, but rather part of other elements. It is like hardcoding of the element inside another element. Perhaps they can work-around this by using another block for the image and another block for the list items.

For example, where images are part of the list block, this is not a current feature that we support due to the nature of the block core/list, but our developers will take a look at this and consider it.

I have shared this page from your website as an example:

- hidden link

SS: hidden link

I will update you here when I get a reply from our developers tean.

Thanks and kind regards,
Drazen

January 26, 2021 at 2:14 pm #7932387

philipC-9

Drazen, thank you for your assistance and elevating this to development. It's not possible (to my knowledge) to use a separate image block for the inline icons we are using in the middle of sentences/lists. If you know a way to do this, please share. Thank you!