This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Is there a way to match existing taxonomies as a translation of each other?

Solution: You can edit the category and choose the category that you wanted to link in the This is a translation of Section.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/link-existing-categories-between-languages-manually/#post-4003793

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by christianP-49 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
August 7, 2019 at 8:12 am #4352627

christianP-49

Hello,

I have both dutch and french product categories on my website. Is there a way to match those existing categories as a translation of each other like you can do when you create a new category where you select "this is a translation of..."?

August 7, 2019 at 11:58 am #4354659

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

You can edit the category and choose the category that you wanted to link in the
This is a translation of
Section.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/link-existing-categories-between-languages-manually/#post-4003793

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

August 28, 2019 at 2:12 pm #4475041

christianP-49

Hello,

I'm dreadfully sorry for the late response, i did not see that you responded.

Your solution does work, however... When i view the "This is a translation of Section" in the default language (Dutch), i do not get to see the french terms. It only works when i view the French terms. This is good enough for what i need, but it is this that prompted me to open this ticket because i did not know where to look. Is this normal? Or could wpml improve on this?