Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Client would like to have products and categories connected in every language but instead got 300 product for every language non connected. Solution: Client should go to the "translated" object and select that it is a translation of "none". When client update the category or product, the reverse steps will happen and the category/product will no longer be connected as a translation.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by gianfrancoa-3 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
March 29, 2017 at 2:02 pm #1242438

gianfrancoa-3

Hi, I've a woocommerce multisite with 3 languages.

Ate the beginning I've succesfully imported product data, categories and tags using WP All Import, but all those data are not connected in translation. So now I have 300 product for every language but I can't switch language in product or category page. So, how can I connect existing product and categories in different languages?

I am trying to: I'm tryong to connect translation for every product and category in order to have translated products and categories, so I can switch language in product or category page. I've already tried using "Connect with translations" button but I'm not sure about the right procedure.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: website is in development, but I can provide my url in private if necessary.

I expected to see: I'd like to have products and categories connected in every language.

Instead, I got: I got 300 product for every language non connected.

Steps to duplicate the issue: I simply imported one csv for every language using WP All Import. Unfortunately there wasn't an unique identifier in my cvs so I couldn't connect translations during import. So I need to connect them manually.

Thanks in advance!

March 30, 2017 at 10:58 am #1243252

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello.

I can confirm that if you have uploaded different products as separate/not-linked items, these will need to be manually "connected".

What we would have suggested is that you first import the original products and then import the rest as "translations".

This approach is covered in our documnetation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

At this point, you could "start over" or manually connect the products.

I wait for your feedback.

March 30, 2017 at 12:57 pm #1243411

gianfrancoa-3

Hi, thankyou for your answer.
I've followed the guide you mention when I've imported products on my website, but as I said I had no unique identifier so products are not connected.

So, I know I need to connect them manually, but how? Can you tell me the correct way to connect products and categories? Or can you provide a documentation link?

Thanks again 🙂

March 30, 2017 at 2:12 pm #1243494

Yvette
Supporter

It appears that you will need to use the native Woocommerce editor and then use the option "Connect withTranlsations" in the sidebar (see image).

Have you tried this?

March 31, 2017 at 9:23 am #1244129

gianfrancoa-3

Yes, I've tried it but I would like some more information since I didn't find documentation about it. For example, I've 3 languages but I can use "Connect with translations" button only once and only for one post. So I'm connecting secondary languages posts with my default language post. Is that correct?

Also, I don't understand what it means when it says, for example, "Make English the original language for this product". My default language is Italian, so I guess I should uncheck it, right?

Also, I don't know how to connect categories, since I also have categories in multiple languages.

in the end, I need some advice or documentation.
Thank you in advance!

March 31, 2017 at 11:50 am #1244285

Yvette
Supporter

Hmmm. We don´t have the exact documentation you are looking for.

1. You wrote: "I'm connecting secondary languages posts with my default language post. Is that correct?"

Answer: Yes.

Explanation:
WPML "knits" translations together using entries in the icl_translations table. All translations are connected via a field called "trid". When you connect with a translation, you are effectively creating an entry in this table. The two translations are connected via a common "trid".

2. You wrote: " I don't understand what it means when it says,"Make English the original language for this product"

Answer:
This will affect the way that product specific information is synchronised. The direction of the synchronisation will always be from the "original" language of the product towards the "translations". Some product information is not accessible to translations. These include pricing and stock. You can have an "original" product in a language that is different from the system default language. It is simply asking you which language version the master data of the product will be maintained in.

3. You wrote: "I don't know how to connect categories, since I also have categories in multiple languages."

You can connect categories in the same way you do posts/products (see image). To copy the category assignments "over" to translated products, you would then go and "update" the original products. The act of "updating" the original product should trigger the WPML actions to copy the taxonomy assignments over to the translated product.

Does this answer your question?

April 4, 2017 at 9:23 am #1246616

gianfrancoa-3

Hi, thank you very much for your answer! Really clear and exhaustive.
Just some further small questions:

1. I've tried to connect products, and it worked correctly. But what if I connect wrong products? Is "connection" reversible?
2. Same question for categories... I've connected categories and it worked, but what if I connect wrong categories? Can I remove connection after they are connected?

Again, thank you in advance for great support 🙂

April 4, 2017 at 12:00 pm #1246779

Yvette
Supporter

In both cases, you should be able to go to that same field in the "translated" (e.g. not original) object and select that it is a translation of "none". (see image) When you update the category or product, the reverse steps will happen and the category/product will no longer be connected as a translation.

Note, for the product, you would need to use the Woocommerce native editor to do this as the field to do this is not accessible through the Translation Editor.

I hope this is clear.

April 4, 2017 at 1:24 pm #1246888

gianfrancoa-3

Yes, it is! Thank you very much!