Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.36 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ka-chuS 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
September 27, 2018 at 2:30 am #2769122

ka-chuS

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Build up a language switcher like the switcher shown on the top right in this site hidden link

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/#custom-locations

I tried to read this. But very difficult to understand.

What is the link to your site?
Still developing on localhost. Is WPML available to build such a language switcher? If yes, may I have your CSS code, please? The color code I will change by meself. Thanks in advance!

September 27, 2018 at 9:27 am #2769962

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the WPML support!

If you are asking about to add a Language switcher to your menu you can simply use the option in WPML > Languages > Menu Language Switcher : https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/
You can add Language Switcher to menu or as widget in header then you can design with full control.

Could you please try that first and let us know?

You will need some custom CSS to design the Language Switcher like that website. I will try to help with CSS as much as possible. But before that please create a Language swicher as list of languages in menu or widget wherever you like to add.

Regards,
Riffaz.

September 28, 2018 at 3:13 am #2772449

ka-chuS

Hi,

Yes, I already put the language switcher on my site. Please see the attached picture through google drive. And I would like to put it on the top of the site. However, when I put it there, the color of the language switcher wording is the same as the top. And I cannot change it even though I have made some changes in the switcher editor section. May I have your CSS code to design it as what it showed in hidden link, please? Thanks!

September 28, 2018 at 6:00 am #2772638

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

You are trying to show only the language code in language switcher, right?
There is no such feature in WPML for now.

Anyhow, you can do a simple hack for this.

1) Go to WPML > languages > site languages
2) Click Edit languages link: hidden link
3) When you are on Edit languages page, you should have Language name columns "Translation (English)" and with other languages.
4) Enter Language code in the text box provided: hidden link
5) Click Save button.
6) Again go To WPML > Languages
7) Go to "what to include in the language switcher"
8) Choose "Language name in current language": hidden link

Now, you can show languages as drop-down using this option hidden link or you can show that as a menu item next to each other using this option: hidden link

As per this site hidden link reference, you are trying to show this above the menu or right side of the menu I guess.
That is not possible by default.
In this case, you have to edit your header PHP file and find the exact position where you want to add it and add the custom language switcher then start to do the CSS work.
You can refer: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/custom-language-switcher/
This also will help you: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/designing-custom-language-switchers-using-template-files/

I'm afraid that it is not a feature of wpml yet, and such a script would need custom coding which is beyond the scope of our support. This being the case please consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Before doing so please have a look also here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/guidelines-for-people-looking-for-consulting-help/

Regards,

September 29, 2018 at 8:32 am #2775459

ka-chuS

Understand. Perhaps my request of CSS is out of your support area. But I have one more question regarding the language switcher I think you should be able to help.

First of all, I have two languages on my site now: Eng and Chinese. Second, I am using Drop Down menu for the language switcher which is locating on my Menu Bar now. Could it show English when I am in the Chinese version, and show Chinese when I am in the English version? Currently, when I am in the English version, the drop down menu is showing English, Chinese version showing Chinese.

Because suppose people look forward to an English page, they don't know where to the language switcher is if the switcher showing a chinese word. Vice versa.

Hope you understand my words. Thank you!

October 1, 2018 at 6:08 am #2777183

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

You do not have to custom code for this since you have only two languages.
There is a simple option in WPML to show inactive languages only.

Edit your menu language switcher.
Change "Language menu items style" from dropdown to list of languages: hidden link
Uncheck "Current language" in "What to include in the language switcher": hidden link

Now when you are on the English page you will see the option to change to Chinese only.
When you are on the Chinese page you will see the option to change to English only.

Hope, this will help you.

Let us know.

Regards,

October 1, 2018 at 6:16 am #2777189

ka-chuS

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!