This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Amit 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
June 10, 2018 at 11:47 am #2403374

Amit
Supporter

Hi everyone,

If you own a WPML Blog subscription license and are updating to WPML 4.x.x you will notice that WPML Media is not anymore included in your plugins package.

We removed WPML Media since we added the "Display as Translated" option and you no longer need WPML Media in order to show the same images in all languages --> to achieve the same behavior you can use "Display as Translated" and not duplicate them.

The new Media Translation no longer duplicates media. Its current purpose is to allow replacing images when using Translation Management which is not part of the WPML Blog subscription.

We have noticed there are a few issues with the messages you see when updating to WPML 4.x.x and we are working to change those into something more meaningful.

If you have anything you'd like to ask, please leave a comment here,

Thanks!

June 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm #2403702

JB

Hallo Amit! I have problem with this update. But I am not able to find where is this message: "Display as Translated". I have a website in 4 languages and now the images are only in the principal language. Thank you!!!

June 10, 2018 at 6:14 pm #2403872

Amit
Supporter

Hallo,

From your profile, I can see you do have the full WPML CMS version, so in your case, this is not needed, you should be able to update WPML Media to the new version.

June 10, 2018 at 7:04 pm #2403949

JB

I don't know why, comes always a message about the installation that is not finish, but even if I click on this button, something doesn't work and the message comes again. If you have any idea, thank you!
hidden link

June 11, 2018 at 7:43 am #2404407

hmjH

Hi Amit,
I still don't understand how to embed images in the translated page. I have the full wpml package including the new Media Translation plugin.
As far as I can see, translating images in Media Translation will not actually embed the images in the translated page. As it also clearly says when translating images:

"Any changes you make to the text here will not affect any previous publications of this media on your website. This edited version will only appear if you select it from the library to be embedded".

Would you please explain how to embed the images in the translated page/blog post/property?

If you have a screenshot that would be great.

Thank you

June 14, 2018 at 6:40 am #2412566

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kiev (GMT+03:00)

@barbaraj, if you still have this. Please open a new ticket detailing your issue.

@hmjh, have a look at the following article:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

June 14, 2018 at 8:12 am #2412809

hmjH

Hello, I don't understand your documentation on how the new media update works. Before the update, I translated properties directly in the page builder like this:

I check the box "Duplicate" then press the + sign to Translate and I leave the boxes checked where it used to say something like "Duplicate Media". Now those check boxes are gone, and so the media files are no longer embedded in the translated properties.

After the update, I managed to upload the images by going to Media Translation, translate each image individually and then go back to the property and then upload the images manually. But this procedure is really time consuming.

Is this really how media files should be translated from now on? Can't you just reintroduce the duplicate media check box on pages?

Thank you

June 14, 2018 at 12:28 pm #2413458

JB

I have the same problem of the others. Images are not reproduced in the others languages. I wait for the update as they said. I hope this will solve the situation. Thank you!

June 14, 2018 at 2:49 pm #2413704

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kiev (GMT+03:00)

@hmjh, It's fine to leave the images untranslated if you don't want to translate them. In that case, the same image will be displayed in the translations like in the original post.
But if you need to translate the image, you have to use a new way of translating them.

June 14, 2018 at 3:03 pm #2413753

hmjH

Hello Andrey, Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I don't need to translate the images, I just want to embed them/duplicate them to the translated property/post.
But the way it works right now, if I don't go to translate manager and translate the images, I have to upload the same images again into wordpress before I can add them to the translated post/property. Like barbaraJ, I hope you will fix the problem soon.
Thank you.

June 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm #2413915

Amit
Supporter

There is a fix coming within a few hours, I'll update in a new sticky ticket in the forum when it's out - please follow. I am closing this ticket to reduce the clatter.