This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How can I save my media translations when editing in the Media Grid?

Solution: This was resolved with WPML 4.0

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by minoa 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
January 31, 2018 at 8:47 am #1502468

minoa

I am trying to:
Edit media caption in site default language (EN) and leave existing translations of media captions (DE) untouched (i.e. edit them independently)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
Media with German caption (as existed before I updated the English caption)

Instead, I got:
Media with updated English caption.

I had already translated the captions on the German media images but when I edited the captions on the English media images, the German captions were overwritten with the updated English text.

I want to be able to edit the translated captions independently of the default language.

January 31, 2018 at 9:35 pm #1503448

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

When you add the translations, are you doing this from the Media Library Grid view? If so, this issue has been escalated to our development team and should be fixed in next release of WPML media. In the meantime, as a work around, please go to WPML > Media Translation and turn off "Duplicate media attachments for translations" under "How to handle media for new content:"
This should work.

Please let me know if this solution works for you. Thanks!

February 1, 2018 at 10:42 am #1503818

minoa

Thanks, the workaround worked for me.

May 24, 2018 at 7:17 pm #2225188

Lauren
Supporter

The beta version of our latest release is now available. You can download it from http://www.wpml.org/account/downloads (select beta from the drop down). Be sure to make a full backup if you test this on your live site, and let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

May 25, 2018 at 9:16 am #2228104

minoa

Thanks, could you please indicate exactly which module has been updated and which version number I should download? Or do I need to download everything? Also, when do you expect that these changes will be released in a stable version?

May 25, 2018 at 5:21 pm #2231258

Lauren
Supporter

You need to update all WPML plugins. I think the stable version should be released in a week or so, but I don't have an exact time frame.

May 29, 2018 at 5:58 am #2242881

minoa

Thanks