This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.09 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
August 31, 2019 at 2:21 pm #4491011

viktorB-10

I am trying to: skip need for the translation of those media files (images) in the ATE, which are already translated in media translator in the meantime (somewhere after they got inserted in some post(s).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

In other words: is there a way to let a page/post Translation Editor (ATE) to let it's inserted images translation to just pull / update (overwritten) from the media translator if it has the same inserted media which is yet to be translated in the media translator (as a duplicate) ?

September 1, 2019 at 1:30 pm #4492539

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Viktor,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I understand what you'd like to do but I'm afraid that you cannot do this automatically. There are cases when users need a different title/description for each image, based on the page/posts that's added to and that's why you need to add the translation for these image fields. Having a way to choose between the text added to Media translation or adding a new one can complicated the whole translating process.

Thanks,
Radu

September 1, 2019 at 4:35 pm #4492871

viktorB-10

Hey Radu,

Thx for your answer.

Q1:
So in this case it would be pointless if i send in a feature request about this?

I think if would be a very useful switch/option that can make possible to toggle/set at every media file whether i want it to be translated(overwritten) by the actual post translation or let it just kinda fallback to the media translation (if any done).

Q2:
Actually by this current concept/wpml workflow, im a bit confused. So now i only should deal with Media Translator if i have the specific media file which i want to show a different image version. All the other cases i just let it untouched and always go for the Translation Editor, even if i use some of the same media files in multiple posts/pages?

cheers, W

September 2, 2019 at 12:43 pm #4497101

Radu
Supporter

Hey Viktor,

Now I noticed that what you're trying to translate is a product gallery. I just tested this on my side. I just simply checked the Duplicate uploaded media to translations option, and the translation added to Media translation was used when changing the language.

As I can see, theres a translation for the title of the images from your website too. Can you tell me if this is what you did too or if you added the translation manually, please?

Thanks,
Radu

September 3, 2019 at 6:10 pm #4506757

viktorB-10

Hey Radu,

Thanks for your efforts! To be honest, i'm a bit lost and confused about wpml system logic still, (however i'm using it for ~half a year) still can feel stuck or lost in some situations. Overally the website already kind of works, and brings some minor success (it ranks on SERP and some people find it by web or image search) but i feel it's still needs to step up to a higher level.

To make it clear: my main goal nowadays is to strengthen my knowledge and confidence* in using WPML on the best possible way both efficiency and SEO wise.
*:thus trying hard to eliminate the feeling that sometimes i find the wpml user experience counter-intuitive. And it takes so many extra working-hours from me (and my paying client(s)).

Sorry, i needed to do this kind of 'coming out' , to put my following questions into context. 😉

Answering your question: on the linked product page the images are already media translated, and seems that now they are pulled from the Media Translator's content. However that's not the best page to test and say it clearly, because some anomaly happened with it in the past: i set an additional product tag to this product (and 2 others) and apparently some content - that i translated in the ATE earlier - suddenly got cleared from the ATE. It happened only with the image translations (title, alt-tags, descriptions). Have you experienced this before? I might try to replicate it. So now what you see on this page is it's actually half translated status., i didn't translate it since then, cos i was examining it, what/why could have happen. I send you screenshots about the ATE translation status significantly dropped from 100% after the additional product tag ('sale') added. Have you heard something like this before?

Another question:
In the Media Translation panel, when we translate a media file, what meta field the 'Name' does exactly referring to? image title or alt-tag or..?

Does the Media Translator pane overwrite the values that we give to a media file via the Media Library (by switching to the preferred language and write in the translated values)? And if so, which value the 'Name' value equals to in the Media Library?

In other words: How would you do the translation workflow, to max out the potential and SEO efficiency of your media files in the search engines?

I really believe in image search and that's why i need to get clear and enlightened about the correct way of working with wpml.

(Maybe i would contribute to wpml by writing a detailed article about how to deal with media files in special situations.. if we manage to clear out all my questions about this..:)

Thank you man,
Wiktor

September 4, 2019 at 11:13 am #4510383

viktorB-10

Hi Radu,

Yesterday i had some time to experiment with wpml, and i answered most of my 2nd question. So please ignore the 2 pharagraphs after "Another question:" in my prev. comment.

September 4, 2019 at 1:59 pm #4511645

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wiktor,

I'm glad to hear that you're working with WPML and start getting used to the options. I know that there are a few things here and there that are not the best (you mentioned i find the wpml user experience counter-intuitive). You can always write us a message right here https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/ if you have any suggestions about how we can improve the plugin for you and for other users. We are checking all the messages received here, and discuss about anything that can be done better.

Now, regarding the new tag issue, I never heard about this issue before (I even looked in past tickets, and our internal notes). Did you manage to replicate it? Did it happen again, except for that one time? Maybe there was some other change to the product that made the translation disappear. I just want to be able to replicate this so I can pass it to my colleagues and look for a fix. But first I need to be able to see the issue and replicate it. Please let me know if you found anything about this issue.

Thanks,
Radu

September 7, 2019 at 11:55 am #4529189

viktorB-10

Yo Radu,

I would find it really useful if upon translating a new post/page with WPML, all already translated media files would by default pull in their translated values (name, alt-tag..) and give me an option to overwrite these or leave as that.
But now, what i find is that there is no option for this, so i need to -at least- paste those values into the 2ndary lang boxes during manual translation.

I guess you confirmed earlier that this is how it is now, and there is no feature yet that handles this process. If im right? Or it pulled in the data for you automatically?

Do you think it would be a reasonable feature suggestion (if it never been suggested before? which would surprise me on some way?)

Waiting for your opinion

About the other 'added product tag-->lost translation data' issue, i keep close eyes on it and surely report in if it somehow happens again!

Cheers, W

September 10, 2019 at 9:19 pm #4548941

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wiktor,

Sorry for this delayed response but we had a bigger load of ticket over the weekend but now we're back on track.

Yes, you're right about your explanation for the image details. For now, the details are not pulled automatically and you'll need to add them manually to the translation. Regarding the feature request, there's no right or wrong request. Anything that you think it can be done better and help you translate the content easier counts as a "valid request". I don't have the list of feature requests that were received before so I cannot tell you for sure whether this was asked for already or not.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Media translation workflow best practices’ is closed to new replies.