We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How to syncronize menus Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 11, 2019 at 8:42 am #4187479

christianO-12

When I go to this screen (screen1) the german menu is configured as main menu which is correct.

When I switch to the english language over the switch at the top it looks like screen2 (main menu is not configured)

when I now configure it to menu en like in screen 3 and save, the menu config goes lost for germany and all other languaes as well. screen4

I run the newest version of wmpl under php 7

What could be wrong?

July 11, 2019 at 9:10 am #4187723

christianO-12

Oh, and when the information for the other menus got lost after saving, all other languages show the english menu

July 11, 2019 at 1:08 pm #4190031

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I'm not sure that what you're trying here will work - if you assign translated menu into some location, that menu may overwrite the main menu location because it is not the menu location you are translating, but you want to translate menus themselves.

Have a look at this tutorial:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

So basically once you create a menu in the main language, you need to translate this menu and it will appear on other languages, without needing to assign menu locations for translated menus. You can use menu synchronization, but you don't have to if you don't want to - you can simply change the language of the dashboard and edit menu items as you wish (in case that you want to add some additional elements to translated menus).

Let me know if this makes sense or if you need additional clarifications!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 11, 2019 at 2:25 pm #4190811

christianO-12

Hello,

Ok, Thanks, perhaps I just used it wrong then, but: normallly all worked well, then suddenly some of the languages began to get faulty menus, and we thought it was because of the menu assigning which seemed to be wrong in the other languages.

So when I assign the menu in the german language which also is the main language, the structure in all other languages is wrong. wrong cascading, wrong language, you cann see it directly by comparing german and english site version:

Please see here: hidden link

and here: hidden link

how can this be fixed? normally each menu is in its native language and should be cascaded like in germany with submenus and so on...

Thanks

July 12, 2019 at 5:25 am #4195241

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

In order to debug this issue further quickly, would you be willing to provide me with temporary WordPress admin username so I could investigate the issue directly? I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

I'd like to check how these menus look like at the moment.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 12, 2019 at 10:17 am #4197439

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

The whole setup looks a bit "messy" :). It would seem that there are couple of menus in other languages, but no real data inside, while the main menu(s) in main language (German) is not synchronized in any language.

Have you tried using "Menüs zwischen Sprachen synchronisieren" and then synchronizing them, as per instructions I provided before?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 15, 2019 at 7:38 am #4207911

christianO-12

Hello,

When I use the synchronize function, it creates new menus for each language, but they are all incomplete... A few weeks ago everything worked fine, and suddenly the menus were wrong. In the backend, when you go to design -> menu and choose the main menu and a different language at the top, the menu structure is still there and right for each language, but they are not shown in the frontend.

Can we solve ist somehow without building each menu from scratch ?

Thanks
Oliver

July 15, 2019 at 10:48 am #4210045

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

When I use the synchronize function, it creates new menus for each language, but they are all incomplete...

Can you tell me if you have a staging site perhaps, where I could test this out? If not, can you create a Duplicator package I will download and test on my localhost?

Also, are all the pages in all the languages translated? Because if there is no translation of the page, the menu synchronization will not put anything there.

https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Let me know if this is OK with you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 15, 2019 at 12:18 pm #4210903

christianO-12

Hello,

Thanks again. I just installed the duplicator plugin and created a backup there. You can login with your account and download ist, this seems to be the easyest way, right?

Regards
Oliver

July 15, 2019 at 1:54 pm #4211885

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi Oliver,

Can you have a look at this video I have just recorded for you?
hidden link

Let me know about the questions you have related to information presented within.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 15, 2019 at 2:41 pm #4212299

christianO-12

Hello,

Ah thank, so obviously we missed to synchronize the menus from each language regulary.

So we just have to work through each menu and use the synchronize function in order to get it together egain and than use string translation to fix the missing translations from the first level menus then.

One question: When I go to design -> Menu i dont have the blue links to each language and also not the blue little synchronize link, as you can see in one of my last screenshot.

Where do I activate it?

July 15, 2019 at 2:54 pm #4212453

christianO-12

here is the screenshot where there are not the blue links as in your video

July 16, 2019 at 5:46 am #4216473

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Which blue links are referring to? I don't see any image uploaded? The thing is that if you synchronize menus, you should get the same result as I did. Because apart from choosing a main menu and going through "Menüs zwischen Sprachen synchronisieren" I did nothing else.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 16, 2019 at 6:40 am #4216635

christianO-12

Please look at your screenshot of the page design -> Menu there you marked blue links for each language with a red line. These blue links do not appear when I go to this page. Please see my screenshots i attached in the posts before. They are missing. How did you activate them?

Do you know what i mean?

July 16, 2019 at 7:26 am #4217009

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Honestly I have no idea :(. Have a look at this - this is a screenshots taken from your site a minute ago.

Maybe it is related to browser cache perhaps? As an alternative, you could try going to WPML -> WP Menüs synchronisieren.

Regards,
Bruno Kos