This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by veronikaT-5 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
August 12, 2019 at 10:47 am

veronikaT-5

I am trying to: update the menu on the website (both top menu and footer menu)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: both menus are shown according to the sequence in WP-admin (Fondazione Capellino is a sub-item under Il Duale item)

Instead, I got: while one menu gets updated (e.g.the top one), another one gets broken (the footer one) - menu items change their places randomly

Here is the link to some recent cases that were observed (the links are to the production platform, but the issue exists on dev2 which is the test environment, it's a copy of the prod in terms of code and environment): hidden link

The developer tried synchronization to fix the issue (as it is advised in this thread: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/when-i-change-one-menu-the-system-automatically-and-unexpectedly-change-another/), but it didn't help.

August 13, 2019 at 6:48 pm #4390319

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Please, try the following:

1 - Increase your current server resources for max_input_vars to something around 5000 instead of your current value 1000.

2 - Increase your current max memory limit available for WordPress from 40MB to 256MB. See: https://wordpress.org/support/article/editing-wp-config-php/#increasing-memory-allocated-to-php

3 - Now, try the menu sync feature again, your previous attempt to sync your menu items didn't work due your current max_input_vars which doesn't seem to be enough for this operation.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/#option-2-automatic-menus-sync-by-wpml

Please, let me know if it helps, have a nice day.

August 14, 2019 at 5:21 am #4392439

veronikaT-5

Hi Marcos, thanks for your feedback.

The developer tried to sync on his local machine to see if it would make sense to enlarge server resources (we had this idea too). Sync was completed on the local machine (there are enough resources), but it didn't help. This is why we didn't change server configuration for the testing environment.

We will try to follow your advice, but the test with local environment proves that it's hardly going to help. Can you recommend any other solution?

Kind regards and have a good day.

August 14, 2019 at 5:43 pm #4396941

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. After increasing server resources, please, try the following in your test environment:

1 - Manually adjust your translated menu items to their right locations.

2 - Keep all the plugins disabled except the WPML related ones.

Let me know if you still see them going to the wrong location. Have a nice day.

August 28, 2019 at 2:35 am #4470555

veronikaT-5

Hi Marcos!

We checked
1 - Manually adjust your translated menu items to their right locations.

2 - Keep all the plugins disabled except the WPML related ones.

And it didn't help. What steps can be the next?

September 2, 2019 at 8:35 am #4495301

veronikaT-5

Hi Marcos!

Do you have any news?