This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by seanS-19 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 23, 2018 at 12:01 pm #2842220

seanS-19

I am trying to duplicate a menu; I have a menu in the default language, English. I added Italian and synced it.

But as none of the items were translated they were just left off the new Italian menu which is, as a consequence, almost empty.

I'd like the Italian menu to show and where there are no translations yet, the default language menu items to show.

October 23, 2018 at 3:32 pm #2843284

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I'm not sure that I fully understand what do you mean.

I can see on your site the current top menu and I see it showing for both EN and IT.

Could you please elaborate a little more on this point "But as none of the items were translated they were just left off the new Italian menu which is, as a consequence, almost empty.

I'd like the Italian menu to show and where there are no translations yet, the default language menu items to show." so I can better understand?

Sometimes screenshots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

Here is some very helpful documentation for translating menus:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Also, can you please paste your WPML Debug information in the Debug information field?
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 23, 2018 at 4:13 pm #2843477

seanS-19

Thanks for your response. I will try to be clearer here.

I created a new menu called enCAST Menu IT and it looks like Capture.JPG - in other words, there are no menu items in it.

Then I click on SYNC MENUS BETWEEN LANGUAGES and this appears: Capture2.JPG and I sync them.

But the new Italian menu is missing most of the original menu. Most of the menu items which were in the original English menu are not in the copied Italian menu.

If you see the menu now - hidden link - the two language menus are completely different.

I'd like to see the original menu there if there is not a translation available.

Is this possible?

Thank you!

October 24, 2018 at 2:54 pm #2846941

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Thank you for the explanations. Now I can understand better.

Unfortunately, there's no built-in feature that would allow that.

You can only translate existing menu items or create new ones for the translated menu version but you can't display untranslated items from the default menu.

For a feature like this, you would need to contact a WPML Contractor from our Contractors list here: https://wpml.org/contractors

Hope you will find that link helpful.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 25, 2018 at 8:24 am #2848968

seanS-19

Thanks, Mihai.

Ok, I'll work around this.

But maybe add this option to future builds of WPML?

Thanks again - Sean.

October 25, 2018 at 8:24 am #2848971

seanS-19

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!