This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
February 12, 2018 at 8:53 am

Gabriel

I am trying to:
Translate menu

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

its only in admin for now

I expected to see:

string for translations from menu labels

Instead, I got:

No strings.

Please check screenshots. Menu sync does not detect custom labels, only last 2.

February 13, 2018 at 7:14 pm #1516743

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this. To translate custom links, you can use String Translation or you can open the menu in the secondary language and manually edit the links. Please see https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/#translate-custom-links

In addition, to translate the labels, you can use the admin language switcher to change languages and add your menu label translations.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

February 14, 2018 at 6:41 am #1517069

Gabriel

Lauren,
I already explored all tutorials and docs before asking for help.
So, could you please focus on what I am asking ? Please check screenshots.
2 Custom links - appeared in string translations.
Other links - links to pages with custom labels - missing.
I need them to appear in string translations section because I plan to use ICanLocalize service.
So any manual translations are not welcomed.

Thanks

February 14, 2018 at 3:38 pm #1517903

Lauren
Supporter

For the standard menu items (pages, posts, etc), the correct way to send these to translation is just to send the page or post itself to translation. This way, the ICL translator can translate the Page title, which is what will appear in the menu label. Also, if you want the translator to be able to change the URL, you can set this under WPML -> Translation Management -> Multilingual Content Setup (please see attached screenshot). You can send both strings and pages/posts to your translators at the same time by selecting the content you want translated and sending it to the translation basket.

I did notice that some of your menu labels are custom and different from your page titles. There is a request in our system to be able to send custom labels to string translation, but currently this feature is not available. In the meantime, as a work around, for pages with custom labels, I suggest adding them to the menu as a Custom Link instead of as a page. Then, you will be able to send the custom label via String Translation.

I hope this helps and that I correctly understood the issue. Please let me know if not and I'll be happy to continue troubleshooting.

February 15, 2018 at 1:14 am #1518361

Gabriel

Lauren,
please notice that I most of the menu items have custom labels and they do not much with page titles.
DO you have any ETA when custom menu labels for not "custom link" menu items are available in menu sync/ string translations ?

February 15, 2018 at 6:37 pm #1519557

Lauren
Supporter

Yes, I do see that most of your menu items have custom labels. Unfortunately, I do not have a time frame of if or when this added feature will be implemented. Since I don't have a time frame, my suggestion is to use the workaround to add the pages as custom links. I wish there was an easier solution for you, but at this time that's the best I can recommend.

February 20, 2018 at 8:36 am #1523164

Gabriel

Hello,
I've changed all menu items to custom links, still not able to add them to strings section and submit to job.

Please advice.

February 22, 2018 at 9:41 pm #1526817

Lauren
Supporter

I logged in to take a look at your menu links, but they are still set to pages instead of custom links. Please see attached screenshot. The pages on the English menu need to be converted to custom links. Please change that and run the menu sync and then let me know if the strings are in the string translation table. Thanks!

The topic ‘[Closed] menu labels do not appear in menu sync and string translations’ is closed to new replies.