This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ahmedK-2 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
October 22, 2018 at 9:30 pm

ahmedK-2

I am trying to: set the default language to French

When I change WPML default language from English to French, the Menu language switcher disappear. Pls see the attached files. It comes back when I change the default back to English

I have disabled all the plugins except WPML one and I have also used Twenty Fifteen theme. The problem still persist.

October 23, 2018 at 11:07 am #2841906

ahmedK-2

Hello,

Switching between EN and FR is fine as you can see because the default Site Language is set to English. My problem is when I change the default to French. I am going now to change it to French and you can see that the flags disappear.

October 23, 2018 at 11:08 am #2841907

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This is happening because when you change your default language, the language switcher is losing the assignment to the main navigation menu.

This will happen when you change from EN to FR , fix the language switcher assignment, and then switch the default language back to EN.

So, when you switch the language switcher, please check that your language switcher has retained the menu assignment (see image).

I am not able to replicate this behaviour on a clean installation so I am not sure if this has something to do with the theme you are using. But this is the way to resolve your issue.
You might try removing the other menus that you are not using to see if it resolves the issue since it seems to be defaulting to the Flat Pages menu which has no location.

October 23, 2018 at 11:16 am #2841938

ahmedK-2

Ohh I see. How I've missed this.

Thanks a lot Yvette

October 23, 2018 at 11:17 am #2841942

ahmedK-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!