Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice.

Last updated by sandraT-8 1 year, 2 months ago.

Author Posts
May 22, 2019 at 3:27 pm #3867137

sandraT-8

I am trying to:

I am developing a site in German and English with the default German. I started setting up the menus in German with no issues. After I started the English translations of content, I tried to use Menu Sync to set up the English menu. I didn't realize that sync was only an option if all the same pages had translations and I should have created them manually.

I deleted all the menus, German and English, and created new menus with manual translations. The first time, I used the same menu names and that still caused problems - it seemed like it was still using the sync settings.

I cleared the site cache and the WPML Cache.

I deleted everything again and started over creating a new German main menu then creating an English translation of it. At this point it seemed to only show the German menu.

I searched support and tried these tasks:

Look for 'Clean up' and click the following:
- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link

I expected to see: 5 menu items in German and 3 menu items in English

Instead, I got: the same 5 menu items for German and English

May 22, 2019 at 6:33 pm #3868613

sandraT-8

I found a similar issue on WP support for the Max Mega Menu and followed these directions: hidden link

The key seemed to be turning on the "Adjust IDs for multilingual compatibility"

I hadn't done that on another site and it works fine - possibly because I never used Menu Sync on that one.