This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas Neuber 7 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas Neuber.

Author Posts
February 22, 2013 at 11:06 am #106510

Michael

Hi,

I installed WPML and all things seems okay, except for the menu. I have an allowed memory error, like below :

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 83 bytes) in /web/*******/www/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 1415

It seems I get this error only when I want to add something in the menu (it began when I clicked on the Synchronize link).

I've added this in my wp-config file :

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');

I've contacted my host provider too, in order to check the memory limit. The memory limit is 64M. Everything seems ok there, but I still have the error.

So, I actived the debug mode in my wp-config.

On every page, a notice tell me something about a deprecated function get_theme_data, but I have the last version of WordPress and I don't know anything about this.

No other notices.

I looked the error_log file too, I found a line about my old server (a parse error in a header in an other place ... -_-). I don't see the link with it.

I thought to the plugins too, but I haven't a lot of plugin, just four of WPML, three of CF7 and the maintenance mode ... Also, the menu was working before I click on the Synchronize link. I have a french menu but I can't modify it. I can't create an english menu.

Please could you have an idea to allow my menu to work ?

Thanks.

February 22, 2013 at 11:56 am #106532

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Hello Michael,

Lets see..
First the classic support start question, which version of WPML are you using? 2.6.4.1 ?

Since you mention that the problem appeared when you clicked on the "Synchronize link" - just to be sure, it was the link we see here http://wpml.org/2011/10/wpml-2-4-0-rc1-menu-sync-and-better-performance/ on the first image?

February 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm #106534

Michael

Hello,

Yes, just bought and just installed, I checked, 2.6.4.1

It's the link at the top right of the menu (attachment below).

Also, I discover that if I deactivate the WPML Media extension, I'm able to add my menu one item by one (not more, or the error still occurs).

It doesn't explain the problem, but it's a temporary solution.

I use WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation and (maybe, maybe not) WPML Media.

February 22, 2013 at 4:59 pm #106639

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for the info!

There might be some hidden PHP errors. Could you provide us with a PHP error log please?
You can create one like this:

1. Please follow the debugging information provided here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/,

2. Press the "Synchroniser les menus..." link again

3. Copy and paste the contents of error_log.txt here for us to see

Thank you.

February 22, 2013 at 7:26 pm #106657

Michael

Hi,

Nothing interesting in the PHP error log

[22-Feb-2013 19:17:22] PHP Notice:  get_theme_data est <strong>déprécié</strong> depuis la version 3.4! Utilisez wp_get_theme() à la place. in /***/public/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2839
[22-Feb-2013 19:17:25] PHP Notice:  get_theme_data est <strong>déprécié</strong> depuis la version 3.4! Utilisez wp_get_theme() à la place. in /***/public/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2839
[22-Feb-2013 19:17:26] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /***/public/www/wp-includes/capabilities.php:3) in /***/public/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/ajax.php on line 10
[22-Feb-2013 19:17:26] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /***/www/wp-includes/capabilities.php:3) in /***/public/www/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/ajax.php on line 11

But I have something new. I installed a plugin called WP-Memory-Usage. I deactivated all the extensions, except the WPML Multilingual CMS extension and I get the result below. WPML Multilingual CMS use 57.71 MB on my installation (without string translation and wpml media).

It's hard ... On the attachment you can see the PHP version too. Do you have an idea of this problem ? I have only 21 pages and two languages ... :/

Thanks.

February 25, 2013 at 7:45 am #106900

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Michael,

Thanks a lot - I agree, two notices and a subsequent "headers already sent" can't be the reason.

90% for WPML plugin+some pages is too much. Since I see that you have a 64Bit operating system. I noticed in the past that customers with a 64Bit OS run more often into a "PHP memory limit" problem than users with 32 bit operating systems.

Unfortunately I have here only a link in German which explains things a bit better: hidden link
Basically the "memory addresses" on 64-bit systems are twice as big as on 32-bit systems and reaches therefore the "PHP memory limit" faster.

I will contact my colleagues about this for feedback/ideas/workarounds.
Is there a possibility to upgrade to 128M PHP memory limit?
(I know, not the best solution, but then you are able to continue working on your site)

February 25, 2013 at 8:09 am #106904

Michael

Hello,

My host can't provide more than 64MB. Then my only way to upgrade the PHP memory limit is to choose an other host, but it represent money and setting time. I would be happy to find an other solution.

February 25, 2013 at 11:13 am #106961

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Michael,

This is unfortunately something which is not just happening with WP but appears in other areas as well.
Example: hidden link
The underlying C++ layer of PHP uses e.g. for a "long" datatype on a 64-bit machine 8 bytes instead of 4. Result: 64-bit machines are faster, but more memory is eaten up. Is a bit like increased fuel usage in a car with more horsepower.

Since you are actually in need of just a bit more memory so that the Menu runs, you could provide us with WP credentials and we have one last look if there is any "memory saving potential".
I will sent you an email with more details which you can use then for your reply.

----
hidden link

February 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm #107348

Michael

Hello,

I sent you my login and ftp details yesterday. Did you find something ?

Thanks.

February 27, 2013 at 8:41 am #107478

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Michael,

Sorry, I forgot to sent you my usual "thanks I received the credentials"-email.

I tried to have a look, went to /wp-login.php, logged in but now I'm stuck.
PHP notices and warnings interrupt the further login process, as you see on the screenshot.

Since we have a "get_theme_data" somewhere which is causing this, I will download all your files and search with a special tool for "get_theme_data".
Although this particular problem is not directly a WPML related problem 🙂

The topic ‘[Closed] Menu problem with WPML’ is closed to new replies.