This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
October 2, 2018 at 10:23 am #2781106

sebastianF-24

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I want wpml to copy the strings from the menu automatically... I don't want to translate every single menu item when it's most of times ok to use the one from the original language.

Actually i want the same menu as in the original language with the OPTION to translate the strings. i dont want to change every custom URL too. wouldnt it just automatically go to the translated version?

I am using UBERMENU plugin

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

October 4, 2018 at 8:07 am #2786617

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

If you want the same label in the menu, you can leave the item untranslated, the same label will show on the secondary languages, the same will be for custom links.

I don't want to change every custom URL too. wouldn't it just automatically go to the translated version?

No, custom links (URL) will not automatically go the translated version, you have to manually add their translations to send the link point to the translated version.

Here are the steps you will need to follow if you want the same label & URL in secondary languages:

- Create a menu
- Go to WPML->WP MENU SYNC
- Click on synchronize, select all and click on apply changes
- Now go to string translation and translate the required items only
- Come back to WPML->WP MENU SYNC and synchronize the menu again.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks