This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by svenA-8 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
July 23, 2019 at 9:09 am #4264373

svenA-8

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I've reformated frontpage on site salab.se. As you can see on first joined screenshot page name in default language is "SALAB About Us New" and page translation to 2nd language is "Hem". Now when I want to synd menus between language I need to translate certain strings as being custom links. But if looking at second screenshot (menu sync) I am wondering if the URLs circled in red should be a translation of "SALAB About Us New" or should it state "Hem" as this was translation done in pagetranslation. Are these interconnected at all?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

July 23, 2019 at 9:53 am #4264759

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

that link is a slug that comes from either a :

- Taxonomy (Category, tag, product etc)
- Parent page (If for example the about us page is a parent of the homepage then it will look like this domain.com/homepage-slug/about-us-slug)

Let me know what are they and if you'd like to just remove that slug, in order to understand how to proceed.

July 23, 2019 at 10:00 am #4264897

svenA-8

Thanks Alejandro. That's a bit the issue I don't know what they are and how do I get to know wether a "Taxonomy" or "parent page". I'm stuck here

July 23, 2019 at 10:07 am #4264941

Alejandro
Supporter

Would you be able to grant me access to your site so i can take a closer look at the problem?

I have just activated the appropriate boxes for the credential information i need from you. they are private so only you and i will be able to see them.

I suggest you create a temporary user, set it as an administrator and then add those credentials in the fields mentioned above.

July 23, 2019 at 12:58 pm #4266141

Alejandro
Supporter

Ok here's the thing, i found the page of the about us custom link. It's this one, correct?
hidden link

The translation is called "hem" but i can't see that slug anywhere. i can see that one of it is set as draft and seems to be the "correct" page. could it be that you had previously translated the name of the about us page to the one in the slug (salab om oss ny ) and then changed it?

because that's the only case i can think of that a page would take that slug.

My main problem here is that you seem to be on WordPress.com and they restrict a lot of things from WPML so it becomes very very difficult to find the correct pages when i can't just change the language from the topbar or just click "edit the page" from the front-end.

Plus, there are many pages in your site and they all seem to be named very similarly or are set as draft which makes it a bit more difficult for me to find the correct pages.

However. that's a cutom link, so if that's not the correct Slug, then you can change it in WPML > String Translation and then re-synchronize the menu.

Regards.

July 24, 2019 at 7:36 am #4271101

svenA-8

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for your respons. You are right the link you sent is the page in question. Also think you are correct that in english page is called "SALAB About Us New". Did in fact later on translate it Page Translation translate this to "Hem" (as you can see in previous screenshot joined).

As you can only find the slug "salab-about-us-new" in the default language english. But where does one "translate" that slug ? Is this in the strings?

I think should make it easy for me and for time being do a direct translation "SALAB About Us New (to "SALAB Om Oss Ny), as well as slug (wherever can find it). What would be your opinion on this?

Thanks in advance

July 24, 2019 at 10:37 am #4273305

Alejandro
Supporter

My "missing link" of the problem is that i don't have the actual Link of that page. WordPress.com makes things a bit harder to track that page down for me.

I checked the "hem" page and it doesn't seem to have a permalink with that same slug.

I'd suggest you check the slug of that hem page and then go to WPML > String Translations > find the string with the wrong URL and correct it there (you can do this because it's a custom link).

Then save it and make sure you select the string as complete (by checking the checkbox on that string) and then go to WPML > WP Menu sync and synchronize the menu again.

Regards

July 24, 2019 at 10:46 am #4273517

svenA-8

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for respons. I can easily find link of that page in default language English (hence also slug), but the issue is that cannot find it in "2nd language". How does one in fact find the slug in 2nd language?

Meanwhile did a menu sync anyway. Translated menu became a total mess and needed to enter in manual mode to rectify the menu labels in 2nd language. But now when going to page and shifting to 2nd language the links/slugs etc does not work. Either it jumps back to default language English or simply getting 404 error message cannot find page. But this is another ticket I'm in process with now (with Laura). For which I've made a copy file of site and sent to her for her to make tests etc (this as site is live). We simply don't seem to know why this mess.

But would still be thankful if you could orient me what to do regarding these links/slugs? I don't dare to make another sync because then will have a mess again.

Thanks in advance

July 24, 2019 at 11:37 am #4274153

Alejandro
Supporter

Normally, you would have to go to the page, and change the language in the topbar, but that's not your case because WordPress.com for some reason deletes that option so you'd have to go to pages > all pages

then click on the language you want to find (swedish ) and you'll find the pages in swedish.

Lastly, access the page in question (hem) and if a notice appears in the form of a popup click "edit anyway" and you'll be able to find the permalink from there.

Let me know how it goes.

July 25, 2019 at 6:34 am #4279555

svenA-8

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks. I've found the page in swedish. But not sure really what a permalink is, what is does, or if finding it what to do with it?

I've made some manual changes in the site 2nd language menu yesterday. When the menubar/item is a Page then seem to work (in 2nd language). But don't seem to make it work when it is sub items and custom links. Don't seem to get the slugs/anchors etc right.

Thanks in advance for advice how I can come to right here?

July 25, 2019 at 8:18 am #4280693

Alejandro
Supporter

A permalink is the URL of each page, for example.
Documentation about it: https://wordpress.org/support/article/settings-permalinks-screen/

For now let's focus on the custom links (once we fix them, we are going to be in the right path and then we'll be able to handle the sub items issue).

Please check this documentation about custom links: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/#translate-custom-links

Now, when the links are custom, it's difficult for the site to understand the right translation of the menu element so it suggests one.

It usually is spot on, but if you add thinks like anchor links and the anchor links change through the languages, the suggestions become a bit less reliable.

Then, it's possible that the Slug was changed, which is something that shouldn't change often (you can check the defiinition of "slug" here: hidden link ) and the URL suggestion just didn't know what else to suggest.

Now, this only happens with custom links, because they could be anything (they could be a URL for another site, for example) so you have the ability to set things right by first finding the correct permalink and in the permalink you'll find the slug and now what is its correct value.

then, you can go to WPML -> String Translation, find the "wrong link" and change it.

If you give me the correct link, i can record a video for you so you can see how to do it, i'm sure that will greatly help you understand how to do it in the future.

Try it and let me know.

July 25, 2019 at 8:53 am #4281027

svenA-8

Hi Alejandro. Super thanks.

Ok if taking an example

Permalink for page Hem2: hidden link
(for info permalink for "old version of page" is: hidden link)

Now the reasons having custom links is that for example the permalink above is for the page, but in menu when clicking on "About Us" (2nd language "Om oss"), I want then one to go straight to a certain section on the page (hence anchors). If you see what I mean. Again all this seem to work fine with default language but not "translated" menu (SALAB Menu Svensk)

Thanks in advance for your assistance

July 25, 2019 at 9:56 am #4281623

svenA-8

Hi again Alejandro. Did I give you wrong information? Is it more complex than originally thought?

July 25, 2019 at 12:12 pm #4282871

svenA-8

Anything new Alejandro?

July 25, 2019 at 2:04 pm #4283943

Alejandro
Supporter

Sorry for the delay,

Here's the video: hidden link

I hope this clarifies the problem.

I tested it with "team members" in Swedish so you can go ahead and change it, delete it or leave it as it is now.

Regards.