Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Menu translation disappeared

Solution:

Suggested following steps and it worked.

1) Take a full site backup 2) Delete the current menu 3) Create a new menu in French(the default language). Hope all your menu items(Post/Page/Taxonomy Terms) are translated into English. 4) Then Sync the menu to English from WPML>>Menu Sync

Relevant Documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by massimoS-6 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
July 28, 2016 at 3:23 pm #980263

massimoS-6

Hello,

I am trying to help out a friend with his website hidden link
He opened the menu sync plugin of his site whichi main language is french. He wanted to translate the menu into english.

He opened the main menu in french
He clicked on the + sign to add the english translation
At that point the site went blank and then when he refreshed the page he had the main menu in frech that had all the links in english and that had english as selected language.
The correct french menu disappeared.

When I checked I found a strange behaviour: when I accessed the menu link under Appearence, the displayed menu was main menu french (with wrong links) but if I opened the dropdown list of available menus, main menu french was not on the list!

I checked some tables within wordpress: the correct menu names and menu item names were all there in the _terms table, but it is as if they lost their relationships.

The only thing I did at that point was saving the french menu and creating the english one, nothing more than that. Nothing changed.

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

July 29, 2016 at 7:57 am #981233

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi ,

Thank you for contacting the support team. We are happy to help you.

Do you have any PHP warning or error when you get the blank screen while adding the English Menu ?

Please try the following after a backup and let me know your feedback.

1) Take a full site backup
2) Delete the current menu
3) Create a new menu in French(the default language). Hope all your menu items(Post/Page/Taxonomy Terms) are translated into English.
4) Then Sync the menu to English from WPML>>Menu Sync

Please check the following tutorial for more details.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

--
With Regards

Bigul

August 25, 2016 at 8:37 am #1020929

massimoS-6

Solved