This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
May 2, 2018 at 7:17 am #1922702

paulE-14

Hi Support,

Good day, today our SEO expert informed us about the meta canonical tags of our translated domains (2) are pointing back at our main domain.

We have Yoast SEO installed.

Hope you can help us solve this issue.

May 2, 2018 at 9:13 pm #1943583

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

In the case of a fully translated site using WPML i believe it is recommended to not use the canonical URL

I understand that WP SEO by Yoast is the one creating the canonical URL tag - is that right ?

WPML is SEO friendly and provides the link rel="alternate" hreflang="X"] tag instead therefore it might be best to use ONLY the [link rel="alternate" hreflang="X"] tag.

=> hidden link

If you do decide that you want to use the canonical URLs that yoast is adding i believe you should be able to manually change them to the correct ones

hidden link

May 3, 2018 at 11:47 pm #1967242

paulE-14

Ok, Thank you for this, I will need to relay this to our SEO expert.

May 4, 2018 at 4:33 am #1968244

paulE-14

Hi Support,

If we turn off the canonical function of Yoast, do we need to do anything? to avoid the said issue, any recommendation?

May 4, 2018 at 4:54 pm #1979145

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

if you turn of the canonical tags from Yoast then your site is going to use the the link rel="alternate" hreflang="X"] tag which should be linked correctly and nothing more should be required.

if you do decide to keep the canonical tags then just make sure you edit them and add the correct URLs

The topic ‘[Closed] Meta Canonical Tags Issue’ is closed to new replies.